Chapter 13: New Reality

Liam whiled away the day with Demnosia, waiting for night to fall and the drove of tourists to leave. The nymph network had been unable to uncover anything regarding the substance of the spell, and so in a last-ditch effort, Liam's nymph allies had convinced Albion to meet with Demnosia and him. Straight to the source. Taia had pretty much told Liam that if he couldn't' convince Albion to part with her secrets, there wasn't much else the nymphs could do.

Liam smiled bitterly, wondering what his chances were of convincing the nymph who risked everything to close the portal in the first place to help him open it again. He was surprised that she even agreed to meet. Still he had to try. Nevertheless, he was more optimistic than he had ever been about his chances with the new discoveries about the Walter family. Though Alex was Mia's best friend, and that complicated matters significantly. He hoped to avoid violence if possible. That was another reason why he was here. Maybe there would be some amiable way to resolve this.

By early afternoon, he and Demnosia split, fearing that they would otherwise kill each other. Demnosia had been weirdly pleasant and satisfied since leaving Piston, as if she had accomplished some meaningful task and had reason to feel proud. It almost made her pleasant. Her mood soured though when Liam mentioned that high school jock's accident, and Mia's trip to visit him. Liam had a feeling that Demnosia had something to do with it, but he didn't care enough to ask. In any case, she became unbearable after that.

Liam went to a local pub and grabbed a beer. Without meaning to, his thoughts slipped to Mia, and he smiled. He didn't remember the last time that he was so...not just happy, but hopeful. He allowed himself to think of the possibilities. Once the gods were back, he could get an aiónios stone. True, she too would fade, but they could do so much in the hundreds of years they had with each other. He imaged what her face would look like in the blue glow of Artic glaciers, the awe in her eyes watching the Paris Opera Ballet. She could start her own line, build an empire, whatever she wanted. Have multiple careers. He would just be happy to be there with her. Once again, he looked forward to the future.

The bells of St. Mary's Church broke his reverie. It was five. He and Demnosia had agreed to meet back at the cliffs at six. By the time Liam arrived, she was already at the South Foreland Lighthouse. The lighthouse, which had been filled with screaming children wanting ice cream, was now peaceful. They walked down the coast to where Albion had told them to wait. Demnosia was grumbling about her new designer shoes as she picked her way through the mud. Liam impatiently hurried her along.

They waited and waited at the designated spot. The rose and gold sky darkened to black. The moon rose, bright and cold. The air became frigid. Though the light from the lighthouse was a warm yellow, it seemed far away. Liam shivered, partly from the rapidly dropping temperature, and partly from the forlorn sadness of the place.

"When the Hades is she coming?" Demnosia asked after a while.

Liam shrugged. It wasn't like Albion had a watch. He wasn't even sure she was going to come. By all accounts, Albion hated the Immortals. It was rumored that in the past she trapped all beings within her walls who even mentioned the spell. The one demigod that Liam knew came to her with hopes of reuniting with his family did not return. Liam half suspected that Albion was pulling a vicious prank, to see him and Demnosia forever enshrined in the chalk walls as an act of vengeance and warning.

Around midnight, Liam was jerked awake from a light slumber by a sensation of lorlorn grief so intense it made his stomach cramp. In front of him stood Albion. She was a tall woman. Her skin chalky white, and her hair vivid black, she looked like a hauntingly beautiful ghost. Her eyes blazed with some fierce emotion that Liam could not identify. Behind her stood some of her sisters – tree nymphs, rock nymphs, a whirlpool nymph. Power emanated from her, to the point that even Demnosia looked awed.