Blossoming

"Alright, kids. We're here, Pelle get that thing out of my car." The vehicle had halted to a stop just outside of the house, a murky brick red with cracked white trim. It didn't look like much on the outside, hidden behind curtains of overgrown trees and situated on a dirt road. Per gripped the fox tightly and stepped out of the car. 

"Thanks again, Jørn, are you coming in for a while?" He asked hopefully.

"Sure, I'll come in for a bit." He stretched, "My doors fucked up, can you let your girl out?"

"Stop it." He huffed, trudging over to Orchid's door and slinging it open, handing her the fox to carry in. "Here, you can take him for a while." 

Orchid had clammed up at Jørn's comment, tucking the dead fox under her cloak, she had a feeling his roommates wouldn't appreciate the smell. "Right, right, Thanks for the ride, Mr. Butcher."

Jørn couldn't stop himself from laughing, lighting up a cigarette as they made their way to the front door. "That's Dr. Butcher, thank you!"

     Per's expression had fallen, consistently rapping on the large wooden door. It was about a full minute of tapping before the door swung open, with an accompanying "WHAT?!". 

Orchid jumped at the loud noise, craning her neck to get a good look at him. He surely wasn't as tall as Pelle, or as rough as Jørn, but what he lacked in facial hair, he made up for in a scowl that could melt steel, framed in dyed jet black hair. She swallowed hard and managed a drawn out "Hiiii…".

"What the fuck is that?" He spat, pointing at Orchid, looking fairly unimpressed. 

"Øystein, that is what scientists refer to as 'girl'. We know you aren't used to seeing them, but don't worry, we trained this one to not run at the sight of you!" Jørn laughed, patting his friend on the shoulder.

"Very funny dickhead. What is she doing here?" Øystein raised an eyebrow, "I thought we were planning the kidnappings for next week. Also, Where the fuck have you been?!" He snapped at Per, who only shrugged in response.

"I was by the river." 

"I haven't seen you since noon yesterday!"

The blonde only pushed past him into the house, motioning for Orchid to follow him. The inside of the house was dark, almost dingy, with a slight musty smell and floorboards that creaked when she walked over them. 

Øystein rolled his eyes, "Fine, whatever, do what you need to do, but get her out of here before the trains stop running."

Pelle seemed confused, he tilted his head at the angry Nord and raised an eyebrow, "She can sleep in my room."

"What?!"

     Per ignored Øystein as he grumbled, leading Orchid up the stairs to what seemed to be an unfinished attic. It was stark at the moment, with a small bed on the floor and a thick, black curtain blotting out the light from the one window. The only notable thing was the five or so cats, hanging from the ceiling in various stages of rot. They gently swayed back and forth when the door was pushed open.

Orchid's eyes watered as the smell of rot hit her all at once. One or two unwashed bones? A freshly dead animal? It was like nothing, not after this anyway. The way they swung gently in the air over a makeshift coffin made her stomach turn. "Pelle, I knew you weren't a fan of them but…"

"Vermin." He mumbled gruffly, walking over to his coffin and flinging it open, "You can keep some if you want."

"You're too kind." She smiled, trying to keep a small smile, though anxiety was starting to brew in the pit of her stomach, "I don't think my roommate will appreciate the smell though." 

Per turned to her, noticing her still gripping her bag, "You can sleep there." He pointed to the bed, it was thin and had very little structure, but it was neatly made, as if he tried to make it slightly less inhospitable for her visit, "You are staying right?"

Orchid bit her lip, how could she refuse? "Are you sure that I should? Your friend didn't seem-"

"To hell with him, He has people over all the time!" Per huffed, "Besides, we have foraging to do, remember?" 

-

     Orchid laughed as she chased The blonde through the long fallen leaves, crunching vibrantly as they ran deeper into the woods. "Hey, wait up!" She called, nearly getting hit by a wispy tree branch.

     "Up here!" The sound of Per's footsteps had slowed, it was hard to find him in the overwhelming brush that the winter sunset had casted in a sleepy blue. Orchid slowed to a halt, following the sound of his voice, and the sound of-

'Water?'

(A/N: Thanks so much for being patient with me you guys! I'm still getting my bearings! Anyways, Enjoy~)