Chapter 4

Snowdrift's POV

A week has passed since the assessment.

Snowdrift couldn't keep her mind off North. Ever since he helped her during the assessment, she has felt grateful and lucky that it was him that found her instead of snotty Aurora or vain Borealis.

She wanted to fly over to his house and ask him to train with her, but that was against the Icewing ranking law.

Even though she already constantly broke the rules, she would never do it on purpose.

Realizing that her mind would probably explode with thoughts, she decided to go flying for a while.

Rushing out the door, she nearly flew headfirst into her father.

"Snowdrift! Where are you off to?"

"Oh, sorry dad, I was just going to go flying. Wait, what are you doing home at this hour?"

Breeze, Snowdrift's father, was a guard who was nearly on duty. Probably due to his lower rank.

Breeze chuckled, "Of course you're going flying, I didn't think you'd be able to sit still at home for that long. I was let off duty early today because some dragonet became part of the adult rankings today and the shifts are decidedly shorter than before."

Snowdrift grinned, for the past few moon cycles, she had barely seen her father at all.

"That's awesome!" she cheered.

"Well, you'd better be going if you want to use up the last of the daylight," Breeze said.

"Oh yeah," Snowdrift answered, quickly catching a wind current and lifted off with powerful strokes of her wings.

"I'll be back before dark!" she called as she soared away towards some unknown destination.

--------------------------------------------------

"Oof."

Suddenly all the air was knocked out of Snowdrift as something, probably a dragon, collided with her and wrapped their wings around her.

Then there was a thud and she felt herself on the ground once more.

"SNOWDRIFT!!! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, OH MY GOSH!!!" screamed a familiar voice, really close to her ear.

Finally recognizing the voice, Snowdrift quickly turned around to face the other dragon and squealed happily.

In front of her was a slightly darker than average female Icewing with dark blue eyes. Her pristine light indigo scales and white underscales glowed against the setting sun.

"SEAL! Your finally back from your trip!!!" Snowdrift shrieked and flung herself onto the other dragon.

Seal had been Snowdrift's best friend ever since she started training. The two were as close as sisters. About a month ago, Seal had left on a trip with her mother to the main Icewing Palace. It was for business with the queen, according to Seal. Both her parents were pretty high in the rankings and her father was an advisor who lived very close to the palace.

"Snowdrift! I can't breathe- actually never mind, I'm so glad to see you! I was just on my way to your house!" Seal exclaimed, "Has there been any changes? Hmm... any exciting news?"

Laughing Snowdrift replied, "No, nothing much, any news from you? After all, you were the one who went on an exciting adventure!"

"Nope," Seal said, trying to get up from under Snowdrift, "that must have been the MOST boring royal thingy I've ever been to."

Snowdrift chuckled, she knew her friend would never be too happy with stiff royal life, after all, Seal was free-spirited.

"Soooo, where were you going just now?" Seal questioned.

"Oh, you know, I can't sit still for very long when I have stuff on my mind. I was just going to fly around the Ice Kingdom," Snowdrift replies.

"Of course! I should've guessed. So what's so important?"

Not meeting her gaze, Snowdrift muttered, "Nothing important."

"Snowdrift, I know you better than that. The way you aren't meeting my eyes, the way you're twitching your tail, the way clenching and unclenching your talons-"

"Ok, ok, point taken," Snowdrift interrupts, "there is something I'm not telling you. But you'll have to race me to the Moon Globe Tree! If you win, I'll tell you, if you don't, then too bad!"

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, I just really wanted to publish the chapter since I haven't updated in forever...