Sentiments

Shikamaru was becoming weird around his fixation. His parents weren't helping with the knowing looks he was receiving from them. It wasn't his fault Naruto had a charm factor that he was enjoying when it was turned on. Currently, the Uzumaki was sleeping in the Nara forest. Shikamaru had brought him here to meet the herds of deer they had but Naruto immediately tuckered out after finding a shady spot. 

He was training hard since he became a Chunin, Shikamaru as well but not as extreme as Naruto. He was content watching the Uzumaki sleep so peacefully, it filled him with pride to know that Naruto considered here a safe haven to let all his guards down. By now the entire clan had placed two and two together. How could they not, they were attached by the hip with their fixations as well. But to see the heir had fixated on such a reckless person, concerns were well placed. 

The elders have emerged from their abodes to pay a visit one night when Naruto was already in bed. Shikamaru couldn't bear to wake him up after he was in such a sore state from training that day. They asked if they should place restrictions on Naruto so he could be managed when it came to missions and village duties. The Nara clan had special laws and favors in their court which can be used in the event a fixation was at too much risk. Naruto wasn't an animal, nor a civilian. He was a ninja and ninja were in danger for their life every day or every mission. 

Naruto being a Jinchuriki especially placed him in a vulnerable situation to enemy villages. What if he was kidnapped? Killed in his sleep? Both Shikamaru and the Nine-Tails would be on a rampage. However, Shikamaru refused their advances. He knew the weight he was undertaking when his shadow had honed in on Naruto for his fixation. The warmth Naruto exuded far exceeded the risk of losing his sanity and becoming a mindless shadow stealer. Besides, how could Naruto prove he could handle being Shikamaru's fixation if he wasn't given the proper chance to. 

"Naruto," He called out tentatively, he got no response so he took it as a sign along with the slowed heartbeat in his ear. "The elders came in the night to talk about placing you under restrictions. I refused them, the last thing you need is to be restricted when you deserve to roam about as you please. But I'm scared, the elders aren't really nice when it comes to fixations that are more exposed to danger than others. Had you been a civilian you would've been made to immediately move into the compound. But your a ninja and ninjas are in danger at every turn especially when they have valuables in their possession. I trust you to take care of yourself. I trust you to not do anything that would risk your life, for once please be selfish with your life." 

Shikamaru closed his eyes as tears fell from them, just listening to Naruto's heartbeat, just knowing he was now at arm's length. It made everything he had to endure by watching from afar worth it. Now that Naruto was so close to him, willing to accept him in such an intimate way, he couldn't go back to being in the background. His shadows wouldn't let him, he himself wouldn't do it. He had a chance and he'd be right beside Naruto for everything that's going to come their way and even after that he'll still be there. He dried his tears and turned away from him but it didn't last long as Naruto spooned him. 

Shikamaru smiled hearing the low snores that came from the blonde but held onto the hands that were wrapped tightly around him. He closed his eyes and focused solely on the other's heartbeat.

**********

"She has no scent," Naruto noted as he held a baby fawn in his hands. 

"They usually don't until they reach a certain age, so for now the mother hides them away from outsiders. I'm actually surprised they let you in so quickly," Shikamaru explained as he petted the mother of the fawn Naruto was holding. Naruto snickered. 

"It's probably because I smell like you," Naruto answered as he gently placed the fawn back on the grass. "Or rather of the Nara clan. I've spent so many nights and days here they figure me as a new herd member." 

"Didn't know you had such knowledge about deer ways," Shikamaru tilted his head in slight confusion. 

"Well, my future partner is of the Nara clan so I have to learn these things. Kurama is an excellent mentor when he's ready to stop being lazy."

Shikamaru blushed a bit at his wording. "You don't have to be with me romantically, the fixation is stable with just us being friends."

"So you don't want to be with me?" Naruto's voice sounded hollow like he was drifting. Shikamaru snapped his head up to see empty, glassy blue eyes. "I see, sorry for being so troublesome by dragging you all over the place." The Uzumaki stepped back a bit putting a respectable space between them. 

'Of course, someone of Shikamaru's status wouldn't be that intimate with the village demon. Just friends and nothing more.' 

"Naruto I didn't mean it like that! Are you hearing me?!" Shikamaru yelled snapping him out of his self-loathing thoughts. Naruto cocked his head to the side waiting for Shikamaru to finish. "You seriously need more self-confidence. I didn't say I didn't want to be with you dumbass. I said you don't have to if you don't really want to. You don't have to sacrifice anything else just because you might feel guilty for not keeping me sane."

"Shikamaru out of everyone in our age range you're the only one that I can say with certainty that I can be happy with romantically. If anything I'm grateful you chose me to tether yourself to. It shows that you have faith in me and what I aim to do. How can I not like that in a person who's already helped me through so much," Naruto gave him a brilliant smile and Shikamaru smiled along with him. "Do you get it now, that I want to be with you?"

"Yes, I do. Thank you, Naruto," Shikamaru didn't hesitate to throw his arms around the blonde's neck in an embrace. He flushed a bit when Naruto settled his hands on his hips. 

"Stop saying thank you I'm the one who should be doing that," Naruto mumbled in his shoulder as he thought back to all the times he wanted someone next to him at night to keep the cold from creeping in on him. Someone to share all his achievements with. Someone who could bring him to his highest point. He pressed his lips to the dark-haired ninja's cheek and watched the lovely shade of red that overtook his face.

"Let's start slowly, okay," Naruto said against his cheek.

"Okay I can do that," Shikamaru kissed his cheek in return.