-Less and Less-

a/n: i recommend listening to Less and Less by Matt Maltese for this one

Fred Weasley and y/n y/l/n. One of Hogwarts most beautiful and perfect couples. The handsome Gryffindor and the beautiful y/h. Everyone saw them and they thought about how perfect they were for each other and how perfect and healthy the relationship was.

But that wasn't necessarily true. Fred and you agreed to keep your arguments and problems on the low and away from other people's knowledge. Even when you two were in the middle of an argument, you would still walk together, hand in hand, in the hallways but not direct a word to each other. No one seemed to think much of this as they thought you were healthy and perfect.

- - - - -

I was in the library searching for a book. I spotted it but realized it was a little too high for my reach. I turned to look for the nearest tall person and spotted Blaise Zabini.

"Hey Blaise." I said.

"Oh hey y/n." he said. "What's up?"

"You see that red book right there?"

"Yeah?"

"I can't reach it." I admitted. "And you're, well tall, so I was wondering if you could get it for me."

"Yeah sure." he said with a small laugh, causing me to return it.

He reached up for the book and handed it to me once he got it.

"Astronomy?" he asked.

"Yeah. My favorite subject."

"Don't tell anyone, but it's my favorite subject too." he said.

"Really? That's interesting. I didn't think you'd be into all that." I said.

"Well I mean it's interesting so what's there to not like." he said. "I have to go now but great talking to you."

"Likewise. Thank you, by the way."

"No problem. Catch you around y/n."

I walked over to sit at a table near the window, and began reading. Not even five minutes later my peaceful reading was interrupted by a presence. I looked up to see a frowning Fred. I knew exactly what the problem was so I closed my book and walked out of the library with him.

"I'm so tired of you getting jealous so easily, Fred." I said to him in his dorm room as we argued.

"It's not my fault you're so flirty with every dim wit that talks to you!" he spat back.

"I am not! That's just how it seems in your eyes and how you make it out to be!" I said back. "And don't you dare raise your voice at me."

"No no, it is what it seems to be. Blimey you were even flirting with Ron."

"Ron? He's two years younger than me! I have no interest in him."

"Oh yeah? What about when you were flirting with that guy Blaise Zabini."

"I asked him for a book, Fred. A literal, fucking book." I said.

"And then you talked with him." he said. "And you laughed with him."

"That's what a conversation is called." I said. "And I laughed once. But whatever. It's time for dinner."

You walked out of his dorm, hand in hand, and said hello to your friends as you passed by them. Every now and then you would just look up at him and smile at him, even if what you wanted to do most in the moment was go off on him.

- - - - -

You were still together and happy, according to everyone else, but you were falling out of love for him. You loved him less and less. You were drifting apart. Everyone believed you would last until October of your sixth year.

"No you know what?" he said.

"What? Enlighten me." I said as tears streamed down my face.

"We're done."

My heart dropped and I felt it break. Even if I was loving him less and less, I still loved him.

"I don't think we're working out." he said softly. "I don't think it's gonna work out in the end."

"Well...I um- I guess you're right." I said as my lips quivered.

We stayed in a soft silence with only the occasional sniffles of either Fred or me. I wiped my cheeks with the sleeves of my jumper and tried to put up a front showing I was okay.

"Go on then." I said softly as I pointed to the door. "Take care, Fred."

He looked at me once more and shook his head as a few tears rolled down his cheeks, and then he walked out. As soon as the door shut I began to sob. I sat on the edge of my bed and clutched my knees to support my weight as I cried and cried. All the love that was leaving me came rushing back all at once. The dates and sweet moments with him started replaying in my head like a projector. The cuddling nights and the fun nights made me long for his warm embrace. But it was all just memories now.

The next morning you walked out to the halls, this time alone. Everyone looked at you confusedly but you just walked. Fred walked out alone that morning too, and girls noticed right away so they were all over him, asking him if he was okay. You sat in your house table that morning for breakfast with your best friend besides you, making sure you were okay. Then he walked in, and he saw you. You and your puffy eyes. You and your messily braided hair. But you didn't look at him.

"Don't look. He's here." said my friend from besides me.

I nodded and just rested my head on my chin and looked at the food on my plate. It took everything in me to not look at him.

- - - - -

You sat in the spot you two once sat together in the great hall, reflecting on the memories. You would walk past the broom cupboards that you hid in together and made out in. When you were in the Astronomy Tower, you recalled the dates you had there. When it would rain, you would remember when you danced outside together. You read under the Willow tree that you two had picnics under. You held onto every bit that reminded you of him.

This went on for a few months, until it became easier and easier. You missed him less and less. You wanted him less and less. You sat in the spot less and less. You remembered the dates less and less. You cared for him less and less. You remembered the broom cupboards less and less. You remembered the Astronomy Tower dates less and less. The rain was just rain. You sat under the Willow less and less. You loved him less and less. You loved him less and less, until there was nothing left to love.

Word Count: 1139