Chapter - 1

"Wo  shehenshah, humne aapki nranaal me se baarood nikal di thi

"Wo  shehenshah, humne aapki nranaal me se baarood nikal di thi."

Jalal looks at his wife with mounting rage. Did this girl have no sense of self preservation at all? How dare she handle the gun? And on top of that she had the audacity to remove the gunpowder. What the hell had she been thinking? Oh yes, she didn't want him to hunt innocent animals. Innocent my foot - hunting was a favourite past time of the Princes and Kings and there was no way in seven hell he would believe that the Rajputs did not indulge in this sport. Then why was she hell bent on stopping him of all people?

And to top it all, she was now trying to scare away the tiger with a burning torch. As if such a huge beast would mind such a small and insignificant source of fire. Besides, the light breeze had picked up speed and it wouldn't take much time for the fire to go out. Either this woman had peanuts for brain or else she was just not bothered by the consequences of her action.

True to his prediction, the torch went off and Jalal threw away his brand new gun in frustration. The weapon was useless now. Taking out the small ornamental dagger he always kept on his person, tucked in between the belt of his dress, he pushed his wife out of the way and faced the huge beast. He could feel the sharp claws as they scratched his face while he managed to hurt the animal with his dagger. The burning sensation was excruciating, and he had no hopes of coming out of this ordeal unscathed but the least he could do was to protect his foolish wife. Besides, it wasn't in his nature to accept defeat. He was always used to winning and he wouldn't let this beast get the better of him. The august Emperor of India was not scared of anything.

The tiger leapt at him and unfortunately he had yet to regain his balance. Before he could react, he saw his wife rush in with a knife clasped in her hand. Oh Heavens! Did this woman always keep a weapon with her? Was it the specialty of the Rajput Princesses or was it specific only to his wife. Her timely intervention had given him the much needed time to regroup his waning energy. Gathering up his strength, he stood up and pushed her out of the way. The protest on her lips died down at one look from him. Whether it was the command in his eyes or the sight of his ruined face, he didn't know. But he was grateful for her silence.

The man and the beast struggled for some time before Jalal felt the blood loss because of the wounds. The adrenaline still running through his veins he lunged at the huge animal for the last blow. Anticipating his moves, the tiger too had leapt in the sky. The two warring animals collided in mid air and as Jalal felt the sharp claws digging into his chest he plunged the knife deep into the abdomen of the animal successfully killing it.

He felt the dagger fall out of his loosened grips and he crashed on the forest floor.

"Shehenshaah". Her screamed pierced the silence of the forest and in spite of his condition he could hear her heart stopping tone. She came running towards him and had knelt down besides her. Her veil had been blown away by the wind, her hair askew, the ornaments out of place but she looked so very beautiful with the worry clouding her eyes. She held her tears at bay through sheer force of her will and Jalal was grateful for that small reprieve. He could handle her concern, but not her tears. She looked so heart stoppingly beautiful in that instant that Jalal couldn't stop gazing at her.