CHAPTER - 5

Ruqaiyya looked at the medium height, stout man as he entered the room with quiet dignity

Ruqaiyya looked at the medium height, stout man as he entered the room with quiet dignity. The room seemed to glow with his presence. There was no denying the fact that the man was used to being in command.

His respect and care for her husband were palpable, for the moment he took in Jalal's situation his eyes narrowed in anger and then in concern.

"Aapki ye awastha kaise hui Shehenshaah?"

Jalal waved his hand in a careless manner playing down the gravity of his injuries as if they were inconsequential. And the man, the King of Amer, the mansabdaar of Mughal Empire narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

"Aap batayenge bhi ki ye kaise hua hai?"

The gravity in his voice compelled the Emperor of Mughal dynasty to give a short account of his accident. And though Jalal downplayed the incident, whatever he told was enough for the king of Amer to understand the gravity of the situation.

However, Bharmal was astute enough to let the topic drop. Ruqaiyya watched in concealed amazement as Raja Bharmal diverted the topic from Jalal's health to the topic of his daughter's marriage.

"Hume to ye bhi nahi pata ki hum aapka aabhar kis prakar vyakt Karen. Shehenshaah. Yadi aapne pehel karke Sukanya ka rishta nahi karwaya hota to hum to aise hi reh jate. Hum to har disha se niraash ho gaye the. Hume laga hi nahi tha ki kabhi humari Sukanya ka vivaah ho b hi payega. Par aapne hum ek naya janm de diya hai shehenshaah. Sukanya ka vivah tay karke aapne hum par jo upkaar kiya hai, hum to jaante hi nahi ki hum aapka aabhar kis prakar vyakt karen."

"Aap hume sharminda kar rahe hain Raja Sahab. Hume aap par koi ehesaan nahi kiya hai. Humne wahi kiya jo Sukanya ke liye uske bhai karte. Waise bhi Suknya ka rishta humari wajah se tuta tha. To ye humara farz banta tha ki uska rishta hum hi pakka karayen."

"Aapne Sukanya ka rishta nahi toda, aapne usay ek galat jagah me fasne se rok liya. Yadi bhul se Sukanya ka vivaah ho jata aur hume uske paschaat pata chalta ki wo log humare khilaf hain to hum kuch nahi kar pate. Sukanya ka jeewan barbaad hone se bach gaya. Atah aap swayam ko dosh mat dijiye. Ishwaar saakshi hai humne aapko doshi nahi mana hai."

Ruqaiyya watched in amazement as the old king politely but firmly set the record straight. She knew Jalal felt guilty for wrecking Sukanya's marriage and though time and again she had tried to make him understand the same point, but his guilt had been eating him up. Jalal may be the heartless warrior that everyone knew him to be, but Ruqaiyya knew that his sense of duty and morality was very high. And it was his morality which had compelled him to seek a Rajput alliance for his sister in law.

"Jo bhi hai Raja Sa... hume khushi hai ki SUkanya ki shaadi hum aapki hi biradri me tay kar paaye. Sujjanpur ke Shehzade Vajendra Singh ke bare me humne achha hi suna hai." she heard Jalal express his thoughts on the matter.