Chapter - 2

Sitting near the unconscious frame of her husband, Jodha let her mind wander. All the other ladies of the harem had left to offer Namaz at the fixed time and she was all alone in the Royal Bedchamber now. She knew that everyone was praying for the life of the Emperor. Even she wanted to go to her room but was helpless. Though unconscious, the Emperor was still holding an end of her dress in his death grip. She had no chance of moving.

She knew her mother in law, Hamida Bano Begum would light the lamps before her Kanha and offer prayers. She wasn't worried on that account. But what worried her was the events of the forest. Even though so much time had elapsed, her mind was still stuck at that moment in the forest when the tiger had attacked the Emperor. Her mind replayed the incident over and over again, remembering the exact moment when the poisonous claws of the animal had connected with the flawless skin of the Monarch leaving bloody marks there. She could see each and every detail in her mind... When the tiger had clawed the Emperor on his face, then chest... She shuddered.

She tried to forget the incident, tried to forget the way her husband had pushed her back and taken the animal head on. She was not sure why he had done so. Was it because he felt responsible for her, or because his pride would not have allowed him to accept defeat from a beast or because he actually followed the law of the jungle. Could it be as easy and as simple as that...?? She was not sure. But she was sure of one thing... She had collected enough fodder for some new nightmares. She just prayed that she wouldn't dream but knew in her heart that it was a fruitless thought.

"Ye kya ho gaya Kanha...??? Kyun ho gaya aisa. Hum to kewal nirdosh pashuon ke prano ki raksha karna chahte the...parantu yahan to Shehenshaah ke praan sankat me pad gaye hain. Hum jab bhi kuch bhala karna chahte hin, bura kyun ho jata hai Kanha??" She prayed in her mind.

A soft touch on her shoulder brought her out of her reverie. Even before turning she knew the identity of the person.

"Ammi Jaan".

The lady had always appeared as mild mannered and soft but Jodha had seen her take the Emperor head on in arguments. But it was now, at this juncture that she realized what a fearsome woman the Dowager Empress really was. She had single handedly looked after the entire gamut of activities of the sultanate delegating the required tasks appropriately and yet keeping the reins in her hand.

"Jyada pareshan mat hoiye Jodha. Hakim sahab aate hi honge."

Jodha felt like crying. Even in the midst of this pain and heartbreak, the lady was concerned about her. Should she confess about ner guilt now??? Would it break the trust of the Empress in her?? Would the news break her???

Come what may, Jodha knew she was willing to suffer the anger and a broken relationship with her Mother-in-Law rather than breaching the trust of this lady who had stood by her through thick and thin.

"Ab bhi vishwaas bhang karna baki hai?? Kya Shehenshaah ke praan sankat me daal kar aapne unke vishwaas ka hanan nahi kiya hai??" Her mind taunted her mercilessly and she turned away from the sad gaze of the Empress in pain.