Chapter 147: A Taste of Things to Come

At Winterfell

Winterfell — War room...

"With these fortifications set up along the battlements and the trenches, we should be able to avoid the undead army where they're strong and hit them where they're not," Robb surveyed the northern landscape.

Daveth nodded, pointing to several army pieces. "Our first line of defense should be enough to break the enemy charge and force them to bunch up, slowing them down for our long-range artillery to pick them off once they get within the perimeter."

Both the Young Stag and the Young Wolf were gazing at the battle map in deep concentration; sharing notes and suggested ideas on how to make their stand against the Army of the Dead, the two young leaders' faces were of deep concentration.

"I noticed you left a gap within the next line for our cavalry. Our cavalry will be able to have enough room to maneuver for cycle charges without trampling our allies and sound the retreat before loses begin to mount if a trickle becomes a torrent."

"Hmm... Father always did say that only a fool would meet the Dothraki in an open field. The knights of the Vale and Dothraki screamers will be able to live up to their reputation."

"And from here," Robb points to a section closer to the castle, "the trenches here will dam the enemy close enough for our archers to engage should we need to withdraw our troops behind the castle walls or reinforce them. Fortunately, we have more men than the dead do by over 200,000."

"Enough to keep them bogged down until an opening presents itself," Daveth speculated.

"Right. If what Jon and Bran say about the Night King is true—if it comes down to a war of attrition and that he can raise our own dead and add them to his own, the tide might turn in his favor."

"Then perhaps it would be best to not let that happen." The Young Stag paused before looking out the window. "This is it... isn't it, Robb?"

"It is, my friend. Our men are already calling this 'the Second War for the Dawn'; another Long Night. 'Winter is coming' serves as a reminder of House Stark's beginnings in the wake of the Long Night and a grim portent of things to come."

"I suppose Starks are all right eventually. This winter could last five years, but there will be a lot of rebuilding to be done once this is all over and we miraculously make it out of this alive. The crown stands ready to assist the North in reconstruction efforts should you ask for it."

"I appreciate that, Your Grace."

Daveth shook his head. "Robb, we've been over this countless times. You don't have to call me 'Your Grace' whenever we're in private."

Robb shrugs. "Protocol often dictates that the rules and customs of the monarchy are to be respected, I'm afraid. Even if I wanted to address you informally, my sense of honor wouldn't allow me to be disrespectful."

That's the perils of your father's rigid sense of honor, Robb. A stubborn dedication to preserving one's honor can be a death sentence... "Do you remember back when we first met? You nearly dropped a great mountain of snow on me."

"Not exactly a first impression to make when the Crown Prince pays a visit to your home. Needless to say, I'm glad that we became friends. Even if the distance between Winterfell and King's Landing was a mile and a month away, it's a good thing messenger ravens came in quite handy to make up for lost time."

"And here we are now. Warden of the North and King of the Seven Kingdoms—Baratheon and Stark fighting a common enemy together as they've done many times before." He held out a hand. "No matter where this takes us, I'm proud to call you my friend... and a brother."