Chapter 2: Arrival at Winterfell

Winterfell

Winterfell...

Lady Catelyn Stark (35), born as the eldest daughter of Lord Hoster of House Tully, makes her way through the Godswood to find her husband, Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark (40) – Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North – polishing his family's ancestral Valyrian steel sword Ice, having recently beheaded a deserter from the Night's Watch: Will (20).

The Night's Watch was an organization founded 8,000 years ago in aftermath of the Long Night to guard the realms of men from what lies beyond the Wall, a colossal fortification 300 miles along the northern border and over 700 feet tall made of solid ice, such as Wildlings (aka the Free Folk) and White Walkers should they ever return. According to the legend, the Wall was supposedly constructed with the use of magic and mundane means with the aid of the Children of the Forest – a race of non-humans who were reportedly the original inhabitants of Westeros before the arrival of the First Men and the Andal invaders. Its recruits would swear an oath of duty that prohibits marriage, family, and land ownership. Recruits renounce all past allegiances and birthrights. Joining the Watch provides absolution for past crimes and immunity from further punishment. Brothers start with a clean slate and can rise within the ranks whatever their origins. Once the Night's Watch was highly regarded and filled with volunteers from noble houses, now the Watch consisted of only 1,000 men (not enough to operate the other castles on the Wall), and its ranks were filled with criminals avoiding punishment, nobles avoiding scandal, orphans and other social outcasts.

Before his execution, Will gave a detailed report of what he had seen before recklessly deserting in terror: undead beings with eyes glowing blue brutally killed his companions, the White Walkers have returned. Ned sat as he continued polishing ice, cleaning off the blood as he reflected on Will's words. He remained unsure, but deep down some part of him believed the lad.

"All these years and I still feel like an outsider when I come here," his wife admitted, breaking his thoughts.

"You have five northern children. You're not an outsider."

"I wonder if the Old Gods agree."

Ned smiled. "It's your gods with all the rules." His smile soon ceased as soon as he saw how Catelyn shifted from contemplating to consoling.

"I am so sorry, my love," she professed.

"Tell me," Ned beseeched, wanting to know what was troubling his wife.

"There was a raven from King's Landing. Jon Arryn is dead. A fever took him," Catelyn answered truthfully. "I know he was like a father to you."

Ned felt as if he just took a punch in the gut as he found himself unable to speak. Jon Arryn had fostered both him and his best friend Robert Baratheon at the Eyrie when he was a child. Both thought fondly of Lord Arryn and Arryn in turn treated the younger Stark and Baratheon as his own children. Those were fond memories. Dead? How can it be? He took a moment to regain his composure. "Your sister, and the boy...?"