16.) Fancy Dinners

I’ve never been to Paris, France.

I’ve never been to a Four Seasons Hotel.

I’ve never been to the Four Seasons Hotel in Paris, France… or anything remotely close to the level of fanciness that the Four Seasons held. It was like a majestic world of magic, unicorns, and happiness inside that hotel.

So you can imagine how intimidating it was to be going to dinner when I had no idea what to wear. And apparently neither did Libby because she packed a variety of different outfits from jeans and t-shirts, day dresses, to a really fancy dress that was really pretty and floor length and amazing. But it seemed too formal to me for dinner. But then again, I don’t think “too fancy” exists to people here.

And being the procrastinator I am, I waited until I was dressed in a matching pair of lacy lingerie (the only type of underwear Libby packed) with a towel wrapped around me and another one tangled in my hair after my shower to worry about what to wear.

“Kale!” I wailed through the overly large suite.

“Yeah?” He called back, quickly strolling into the bedroom.

“What should I wear?” I asked, not turning to face him as I stared at the mess of clothes sprawled out on the bed in front of me. Jeans were obviously not in the picture, but I had two casual dresses, other than the outfit I’d worn yesterday, and two levels of formal dresses.

“You’re asking me for fashion advice?” Kale snickered.

I rolled my eyes and turned to look at him and paused when I saw that he was dressed in black dress pants and a dressy button up white shirt. “Is that what you’re wearing to dinner?” I asked him.

“No, I’m playing dress up before we go.” He said sarcastically.

I stuck my tongue out at him before speaking. “But like, are you wearing a jacket with it?”

He nodded. “Yeah, it’s a full penguin suit. Tie and everything. Why?”

“Well, then that narrows it down to these two. Which one?” I asked, motioning towards the two fancier options. One was short and black with a sparkly strap under the bust. The second one was a blue gown that stretched to the floor and was strapless with a sparkly design on it. It was pretty fancy- it took up a third of the duffel back that I’d been carrying.

“I dunno.” Kale said cheekily. “The short one?”

“But is it fancy enough? I mean, if this restaurant got you into a suit, then it has to be something special.” I mumbled, completely stressed about my dress choices.

“It is pretty fancy- it is a five star hotel, Holly.” Kale chuckled.

“So the long one then?”

He shrugged. “I’m a guy. Surprise me.”

I huffed aggregately at his retreating back before deciding on the long blue dress. I changed into another set of lingerie that had a strapless bra and then slipped into the long, silky gown. The dress hugged my every curve until my waist and then flowed to the ground effortlessly. The design reminded me of a sideways sunset. It started on my left side and then lines of sparkles shot out of that one focal point. It was a really pretty dress and I had no doubt in my mind that Andy had bought it at some top notch boutique. It probably costs more than my UCLA tuition.

I did my hair in curls and bobby pinned it to death so that it would stay over my right shoulder. I put on my eyeliner, mascara and all of that makeup junk, a little heavier than I normally do and then slipped on a pair of black heals. I have no idea how they fit all of this stuff into that one large duffel, because there was a lot of stuff in there. I felt like it was a magical duffel that led into the world of Narnia or something.