Meeting him

Kaia Marcella Torres

I was in my room packing everything up, it was finally summer break. I could go home and see my cat! Oh, and my mom too.

My life has pretty much consisted of me staying with my grandparents, but this time was different. It was recommended to me by my therapist that I at least try to give my mother another chance.

My mother never had a good job, so she turned to prostitution. Which led to her putting her work before me, leaving me countless times outside in the rain whilst she sold her body to many different men.

But now she has a new job; a good one too. So, she asked me if I would like to stay at her new place. I immediately declined, but she has been reaching out to me every day since. We eventually started meeting and actually going out for coffee and meals together which felt quite nice. I want to try and make this work so I will try to hold nothing against her.

Ding!

I looked down and saw a text on my phone. Grandpa <3 – I will be arriving in 20 minutes. Can't wait to see you. Love Grandpa. I smiled; he is so sweet.

I don't think I have enough time to say goodbye to everyone! I started throwing everything messily into my bags praying it would fit. But when I stopped to check If I missed anything. I heard what sounded like a stampede outside.

My door burst open with much force revealing my crazy best friends. "There she is!" Jennifer pulled me into a bone crushing hug. Does she realise I will see her next weekend? "Make sure to call me! I want to see you at least once this summer!" She shouted next to my ear.

I tried to pull out of the hug, begging Mia with my eyes to help me. She just laughed, how dare she.

"I will be seeing you next weekend remember? Please you are crushing me!" I managed to squeak out. I felt my lungs expand as I took a big intake of air as she released me, finally. Mia came up and gave me a quick short hug, she is a lot more passive than Jennifer and I was thankful.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye to James?" Me and Jennifer burst out laughing. What just came out of Mia's mouth? Oh baby. She was too innocent.

"Do you not know about boys that have names that begin with the letter J?" I asked, Mia shook her head. That doesn't quite surprise me. She is absolutely gorgeous but she has never had a boyfriend, she had never even flirted with guys until she met us last year. She needs me and the girls to teach her a lot more things, I would hate to see her hurt.

"It is just a saying, but James made me believe that saying. He cheated on me with a senior." Mia's smile just dropped, well at least she knows what cheating means.

"It will never happen again! You will never go running back to him, right?" Jennifer questioned. I nodded and held my head high; I will never let that happen again.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I pulled it out and saw another text from my grandpa telling me that he was here, that was quick.

I looked over at the girls, "My grandpa is here! Could you girls help me bring my bags down please?" I pleaded with my best puppy eyes.

They both grinned and nodded, I'm going to miss seeing their faces every day.

After saying goodbye to the rest of girls, I left with my grandpa. We had just finished putting all of my luggage in the car and boy was it a lot. I got into the passenger seat and my grandpa sat back in his seat and locked his hands together, a sign he was going to tell me something important.

"You know me and grams love you very much, right?" I gulped and slowly nodded my head. "Good, well I just wanted to let you know that your mother came out of rehab a couple of months ago. She had been battling addiction for a while, she never told you because she didn't want to disappoint you even more."