Chapter four

Rose was dragged along the blood-stained marble floor naked

Rose was dragged along the blood-stained marble floor naked. She clung onto a flimsy red blanket, trying her hardest to keep her breasts and other parts covered. Thrown to the floor before the entire waiting hall, Rose's head collided with the stone. Causing blood to spill from her head.
     The silence of the hall twisted around her, gnawing at her bones. Bloody naked bodies huddled around her, women in gowns watching with intrigue. The Vampyrs fell into huddles with their bloodlines. The Wites, naked and posed, flanked her left, watching. The Bluebloods and Volri, in their stunning suits and gowns leered at her, their aristocratic Vampiric beauty utterly hideous but mesmerizing. Horrifying yet enticing to look at. The Daywalkers hung back by the walls and carved pillars, waiting to be called by their masters. And the Vylewrought? They hid their half decomposed, grotesque faces amidst the long shadows. Hidden but watching.

A man stepped forward from the crowd, his beauty absolutely staggering, had it not been for the squatting viciousness on his face. "Is she your claiming?" his voice boomed.
     Cato stepped forward, when did he have time to put his suit back on? He clasped his hands behind him, straightened his shoulders. He glanced down at her for a moment, and she willed her eyes to beg. Beg him to fight for her, to show her that he was good. She wanted to see the softness form around his eyes, memories flittering behind his lids. There was none. He threw her a cold stare and turned back to the man, "No she is not, my lord. I have never seen this woman in my life."
     Her heart sank to her stomach. Anger nipped at her chest instead. She lunged, reaching for him with bared teeth, but he struck her down. Slapped her. The collision was so great, it reverberated across the walls making some people in the crowd chuckle and whisper. Her hand, trembling, touched her burning cheek. A bruise already forming. She looked at him mortified and he looked at her with nothing in his face, nothing but a cold, baren abyss. Tears spilled onto her burning cheeks.

     He bowed to the man and didn't spare her a glance as he strode away to stand amongst his kin. She wanted to call his name, pathetic as the thought was. She wanted to call him back. But his name died on her lips the same way her father's did.
     The man again, looked to the crowd. "Did anyone see what happened?"
A Wite stepped forward, a beautiful blonde with iridescent cheeks. She had a sick smile on her blood red lips. And no it was not lipstick. Her body was lean and graceful, willowy but sturdy. Her peaked breast arched higher at the hungry gazes of some Bluebloods. Gods, don't these women get tired of sex?
     "She exploded in light and drove out the darkness." Whispers fluttered through the room again, waves and waves. Eyes eyeing her. She drove out the darkness, she drove it out. This place had sank into the dark's claws, there was no sun, no light, just clouds and grey and black. She had no idea what happened. One minute Cato's seed had filled her, her own release shattering her so badly she could hardly see, and the next her body exploded in light. White, shimmering light. Her skin illuminated in it, glowing like she was the sun. The Vampyrs in the room shrieked away, some burning up in the light because of their lack of immunity. But not Cato. As a Daywalker, he could walk in the light unscathed. He just sat there blinded by her light, lips parted in shock. And then someone came and dragged her out here.