Chapter Twenty-One

Draco

Hermione and I sit in front of the fireplace in our common room, her head on my shoulder. I softly stroke her hair. For a while, I just enjoy the moment, pushing away the pain I have felt for so many days.

"Draco." She says, and I look down at her.

"Yes?"

She lifts her head off of my shoulder, looking me in the eyes. "McGonagall wants me to bring your memories back."

I close my eyes, take a breath, and ask, "Why?" I just wish I could put all of this behind me already.

"She wants to know who did it so she can report them to the Ministry," She tells me, "I was acting like I didn't want to do it because I didn't know if you wanted to remember... Harry got mad because he thought I was being selfish, but I didn't want to make a promise I wasn't able to keep. It's your business and I can totally understand if you wouldn't like to recall it."

"I suppose I don't really have a choice, do I? McGonagall would pull the Ministry into it if I said no. 'It could affect other people, Mr. Malfoy.' Might as well save the trouble and not fight with our headstrong Headmistress about it," She opens her mouth to argue, but I just scoot closer to her and say, "I'll do it. But let's start tomorrow. Right now, I just want to enjoy my time with you." She smiles and kisses me. "I love you, Granger, with everything that I am."

"I love you, too," She says, then narrows her eyes at me. "Last names again? Really?"

"I'm calling you by your last name as long as I can. Because one day, we'll share one." I smirk, and she blushes furiously with a wide smile. Hermione and I haven't been together long, but I already knew months ago that it was her. It had always been her, even when I couldn't see that. Everything that has ever happened has always pointed me to her, and nothing has ever been clearer to me than the fact that she is the one I want by my side. Forever.

"Oh, Malfoy," She laughs, "so charming."

"Of course." I smile, and she puts her head back on my shoulder.

The night passes quickly, and the fire diminishes. I hear Hermione's breath slow as she falls asleep; however, I have slept quite too much over the past few days, and I don't want to sleep now. The nightmares would undoubtedly haunt me.

I think back on them now, each one haunted by my father's face. He would look over me, constantly going on about what a disappointment I was, but that wasn't what he wanted me to hear. There were high-pitched screams in the background. I couldn't tell where they were coming from, but I knew who it was: Hermione. He knew that nothing he could do to me could hurt me more than what he could do to her.

* * *

Hermione

My eyes flutter open, and I look around, forgetting where I am for a moment. I realize I am in the Head Boy and Girl common room. I had intended to stop by the Gryffindor common room last night, but I had obviously forgotten. My head is on Draco's chest. I can feel the gentle rising and falling of his breath, and his steady heartbeat resonates in my ears, bringing a smile to my face. His healing arm is around my waist, and I realize that this is the happiest I've been in a very, very long time.

I hear voices on the other side of the wall, so I glance at the grandfather clock in the corner. It's breakfast time. For a moment I contemplate whether or not to wake Draco up, but then I realize he's barely eaten anything in days. He's had plenty of sleep, anyway.

"Draco," I whisper, placing my hand on the side of his face, "Wake up. It's breakfast time. You need to eat." His eyes drift open slowly, and I notice they are bloodshot, as if he has been crying. But when he sees me, he smiles.