Chapter Two

Draco

I should get used to being alone. No one, not even my best friends, would want to be around me now. Not after what I did.

"Harry Potter is dead! And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us or die." Voldemort announced.

Everyone looked at me. My parents were with the Death Eaters, of course. My father whispered my name, and held out his hand for me to join him. I took a shaking step, and then Voldemort looked at me. There was no turning back.

Voldemort opened his arms to hug me, and I reluctantly accepted. I took a glimpse at my father, and he beamed with pride. As I ventured over to him, thoughts buzzed in my mind. Do I really want this? Does it really matter? No. My fate has been sealed since the day I was born.

My parents pat my back when I arrive to them. I know they are smiling, but I can't take my eyes off of the dead body that Hagrid is holding. Harry Potter. The boy who just saved my life. It's unbelievable.

And then a lot of things happened at once.

Neville, after a confrontation with Voldemort, killed Nagini, Voldemort's snake. And in the moments that followed, Harry revealed that he is actually alive, and my family fled. We ventured over the bridge, trying to escape the war. But I stopped.

"Draco," My mother called, "what are you doing? Come on!"

I refused. She grabbed my hand and attempted to pull me away, but I stood firm. My father, who had kept walking, realized that we had halted and came back to us.

As I stood there, watching the war unfold before my eyes, I realized that it's wrong. Everything I believed in. Pureblood superiority, Dark Arts, and everything inbetween. And I wanted to stray from it as soon as possible.

"No," I snapped, "No. I'm not coming with you. Both of you can run and hide, but I'm going to fight."

"Draco, they have enough Death Eaters to-" My father began, but I cut him off.

"I'm not fighting for the Death Eaters."

And, with that, my mother burst into tears. I began to walk away.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy!" My father shouted, "You come with us right now!"

"No. I'm not going to just run away from this. I'm not a coward." I retorted. I ran toward the castle.

"Then don't even think about showing up at our doorstep ever again!" My father yelled. My mother cried harder, and I took a deep breath, stepping back into the war again.

Since then, I have been devoted to good. And I also haven't heard from my parents.

Now, I sit alone on the carriage. I see everyone talking to their friends, laughing, smiling, whispering. Goyle, Zabini, and Pansy, who, as soon as they heard the news, discontinued our friendship. They see me looking, and I turn away abruptly.

I have no one.

We arrive at the castle a minute later, and I get off the carriage. I join the crowd that's awaiting entrance into the castle. People glare at me, and I try not to react. All they know me as is a teenage Death Eater.

We are led into the Great Hall. Everyone takes a seat at their house table. I sit at the end of the Slytherin table. As expected, no one sits beside me. There are three empty seats in front of me and two on either side of me. I feel out of place, like I don't belong here anymore. But it was once my destiny.