Chapter 67.

DISAGREEMENT.

"Cut!" The word cut through the air like an icy blade, after the Director shouted it the fourth time in a row.

Kyoko felt herself stiffen.

"Again?" One of her co-stars, Honami, groaned aloud, as her eyes settled on Kyoko's face, as if she was the reason for the delay. Which she probably was considering how the Director looked straight at her every time he shouted cut. And there was also the fact that it was right after her Natsu entered the scene when he said it.

"Kyoko," the Director called, confirming her suspicions. "Could you come over here for a second?"

Watching the smug smirks of her co-stars from the corner of her eyes, Kyoko felt their heavy gaze upon her back as she trudged up to the Director. All of her previous confidence drained out of her system leaving only tense edginess is it's wake. She tried to gulp the lump in her throat.

"Y-yes?"

Kazutoyo stroked his chin thoughtfully as he pondered on something. "I know I've said this before, but could you relax a bit?"

Kyoko still didn't understand what he meant by that. Even if she was not relaxed right now, she had been completely fine when they were recording the scene, but for some reason, the Director kept insisting that she was not. He cut the scene again and again, and asked her to loosen up, saying that she was too stiff. Which ironically made her tense up even more.

Taking a deep breath, Kyoko tried to be relaxed again.

"I know I've told you to portray your Natsu exactly like Mio, but I only meant it about her darkness, and that too only during the bullying scenes. For the rest of the scenes, just act normal. You don't have to turn into Mio for the whole time."

"But I'm being normal!" Kyoko protested, still not understanding what he was talking about. She did not even try being Mio.

"Then how come you look so stiff? You're still carrying yourself like Mio does." Kazutoyo informed her. "Let's just take it from the top. This time, try relaxing a bit more," he repeated.

The fifth take of the scene started. And this time as well, the minute Kyoko entered the scene, there was another cut.

"Kyoko," Kazutoyo sighed her name as he shook his head in disapproval, not knowing what to say to her. "Everyone," he announced, "we'll take a five!"

Kyoko tried not to react to the disappointed sighs of her costars, but she still didn't feel any less guilty. It was her fault that they were stuck on the first scene. And the worst part was, she didn't have a clue what she was doing wrong. One of her co-stars, Yuka, rolled her eyes at her.

Director Kazutoyo crossed his arms across his chest. He did not have much experience as a director himself, and so he found himself at a loss in trying to explain to Kyoko where she was wrong in her performance. But considering what a brilliant actress she was, it was surprising how she did not see it herself.

"Listen to me," he began at last after a long, thoughtful sigh, using the most soothing tone he could manage. "Mio is your first major role in a big drama, and you've spent months building her character. What I mean is, I understand that it's hard to maintain a new character suddenly, specially when it's so similar to Mio. That's why you keep turing back into-"

"But I'm not! That's what I'm trying to tell you," Kyoko interrupted him to protest. Desperation carved on her face and etched into her voice. "I was not acting Mio at all!"

The assistant director, who had been listening to their exchange, stepped closer to join them. The Director looked at him for his insights, but he only shrugged.