10. Melissa

Over the next two days, David keeps out of my way. So much so that the only time we bump into each other is at mealtimes. He seems distracted, but I can feel his eyes on me when my back is turned.

After the first night when I had gone to meet Alex, I had realized that there were things that Alex was keeping from me. The night, almost ten days ago when I had first woken up in Janice's body, I had found myself in Alex's office. All he had told me then was that we had two weeks to bring David to justice. When I had asked him how this soul transfer of sorts was even possible, he had not been too forthcoming. 'Don't bother about those details. I will tell you everything when the time comes." He had said, and after that, I had accepted the situation and thanked the woman who had made it possible for us to set the trap to catch David red-handed. I had never broached the subject again.

As I settle down for the night, I hear a knock on the door. I find Sid and Sandy in their PJs: Sandy smiles, bashful and sweet, while Sid has his eyes lowered. He is fidgeting withing his fingers.

"Are you free now, Ms. Janice?" Sandy asks sweetly.

"Of course. Come on in. Let's try to be as quiet as possible, okay?" I reply and let them in.

Sandy's eyes wander over to the body on the bed. They are filled with resignation as she takes in the devices keeping her mother alive. I wait for her to ask me something...anything, but she doesn't. Meanwhile, Sid walks towards the bed and touches her pale cheeks. "Miss. Janice," He calls and holds out his other hand. I do as requested. "What kind of woman do you think she is, Miss. Janice?" He demands. It feels like I am being interrogated.

"Sid!" Sandy exclaims and rushes over to his side. "You should not ask-" She starts in an angry tone, but I hold her wrist. "That's fine, my dear." I look at the motionless form on the bed and contemplate how to answer him. Finally, I decide to go with the safest option. "I think she must be a lovely woman if she has such lovely kids. And I can tell that she loves you, both of you, a lot."

My answer puts Sid at ease but riles Sandy up. "You promised that you not would say anything, Sid." She reprimands and runs out of the room before I can stop her.

I decide not to follow her. I know that I wouldn't be able to placate her even if I tried. Instead, I look at Sid, who was still holding on to my hand. He smiles. "Miss. Janice, you always know what to say and what to do."

"I am a nurse. That's my job." I explain. He shakes his head. "That's not why you are so nice to us, aren't you?"

I feel my face grow warm. "Well, I would like to think that I am a nice person." I chuckle awkwardly and clear my throat. "Would you like me to tell you a story, or would you like to go back to your room?" I try to stir the conversation in a different direction.

"What do you think, Miss. Janice?" He replies with another question, and like a coward, I avert my eyes. "I guess we could draw something together," I suggest; he nods. A small, secretive smile tugs at the corners of his lips, but before it can blossom, he looks away. "I would like that." He mutters under his breath and rushes out the door only to return moments later with his art kit.

He places the supplies on the floor neatly, just like I had taught him a few years ago, and we get started. 

 I fall into our routine without even realizing it. I help Sid with parts I know he struggles with most, and he accepts my help smiling from ear to ear. I lose track of time as we chat in hushed tones about his day at school and mine at home. 

I am dragged back to reality when I hear someone clearing their throat, and the tiny bubble of happiness that I had created around us bursts.

Sid's eyes become alert, and he turns around swiftly. "Dad." He whispers. I can tell that he is scared. "I was just leaving. I wasn't bothering mom."

David quirks his brow and glances at the still form on the bed. "Mom?"

"I mean, Miss. Janice." Sid corrects himself. "She insisted on it." He adds, looking at me over his shoulder, signaling me to say something.

David throws a questioning look at me. I knew what he was trying to do. He was testing me. If I were to take Sid's side now, David would become suspicious. I do the opposite of what I want to do. I shrug. "His mother is on the death bed. I couldn't just refuse him."

The hurt in Sid's eyes pains me, but I trudge on, "After all, that's the least I can do." I ruffle Alex's hair, knowing full well that the act would irritate him, and as expected, he pushes my hand away with more force than necessary and runs out of the room.

It pains me to upset him like this, but I know that that was the right thing to do.

"Don't mind him. He is a brat." David offers, trying to appease me. I shake my head. "He is not important enough for me to spend my breath on. I am just playing my part." Getting off the floor, I dust myself and ask David to join me on the temporary table that had been set up in the room.

A slim set of files in his right-hand catches my attention. "What is that?" 

 Instead of answering, he turns around and locks the door. "We don't want anyone barging in." He states, winking at me before walking over to me. He hands me the first file. "I thought about what you said last time. And I see your point. As long as you help me get rid of her," he side-eyes the bed, "I will make it worth your while."

I release the binding and open the file. "What is it?"

"Something that can cripple your plans." He sneers and leans into my space. The fragrance of his aftershave assaults my senses, "Janice, my love, I am here to show you my sincere heart." His arm snakes around my waist and pulls me to his chest. My mind buzzes, and I brace myself for what I know comes next. Thankfully it doesn't hurt like it had the first two times. 

I am prepared when I feel the tug, and I let myself fall.