Chapter 1 - Saying Good-Bye

Chapter 1- Saying Good-Bye

           Blake 

How could I forget? I couldn't. Today was the fourteenth anniversary of my parents' death.

It was a day like any other; a mere Friday, nothing special. It was five o' clock. Time for the night shift, I thought. I was driving towards The Garage to drop off the taxi when I felt a subtle vibration in my right pocket.

"Hello?"

"Yo, this Blake?"

"Yeah."

"We just got a call from some tourists in lower Manhattan that need a ride to the airport. Think you can pick 'em up?"

"Josh, my shift is over. I need to get to my other job."

"Please, man, you're the only open driver!"

"Dude, it takes an hour to get from lower Manhattan to Queens! Can't you do it?"

"No, I'm, um, busy."

"Sure doesn't sound like it." I heard the rustling of papers and miscellaneous things falling to the floor.

"No really, Blake, c'mon, just this once!"

"And I've saved your butt how many times this month? Like six?"

He recited the address to me, "Thanks, man! I owe you one!"

"Wait! What-?" I heard a drone from the other end. He hung up on me. I stared at my cell phone in disbelief. Unbelievable! I can't believe he has the nerve to-

Gritting my teeth and clenching the steering wheel, I reversed the taxi and headed towards the trafficked streets of lower Manhattan.  He owes me more than 'one'.

           Holly

 "Oh, I'm going to miss you all so much! I can't believe it'll be another year until I'll see you guys again!" Natalie blubbered.

I smiled sadly and embraced my tearful mother in a stiff hug. I awkwardly patted Mom on the back, "Don't worry, it's only one year. It'll pass by before you know it."

Mom released me reluctantly and moved to hug my father, Adrian. Adrian's eyes widened in alarm and sent me a look of 'Help me!' I grinned devilishly; Adrian was never a hug-y kind of guy. His arms hung limply by his sides while his glassy azure eyes stared blankly ahead.

Mom stepped back and took hold of Adrian's broad shoulders; her lively eyes suddenly turned serious, "Adrian, take good care of my little girl. She's the only one I have."

Adrian nodded solemnly. My cultured step-father (I never did get use to the "father" part), Wesley, offered his hand to Adrian.

He made direct eye contact with Adrian and powerfully pumped Adrian's weathered hand once before letting go, "It was good seeing you again."

Natalie and Wesley had no idea that it would be the last time they would see Adrian alive.

Ding dong. The condo resonated with the shortened, accelerated doorbell version of 'Pachelbel's Canon'. Adrian rushed to answer the door; it was the chauffeur.

Adrian claimed, "You must be the cab driver."

The man nodded curtly, "I'll take your bags."

He hoisted our bags into the trunk, and courteously opened the car door for us. He hurried to the driver's seat and we began our hour-long trip to the airport.