Chapter 5 - Holy. Friggin'. Matrimony.

Chapter 5 – Holy. Friggin’ .Matrimony.

            Blake

“Dude, I just don’t know how you do it. You got girls fallin’ for you left and right! First, Charlotte, and now Holly. Like Holly has literally fallen on you!” Josh exclaimed gesturing to Holly.

Holly’s head lay on my lap; thankfully, she was breathing. She’d fainted; thanks a lot, Rick. I decided to take her back to the apartment because I didn’t want her in the care of alleged Dr. Johnson.

Unawares, I started gently stroking her cheek; I let my hand drop and shook my head in shame. I should really stop. I’m getting too close to her.    

Her enthralling emerald eyes were unfortunately closed; they allowed me to understand what she was feeling, I could gaze into them for hours. Her skin was pale and cool to the touch; her full lips were pink and pulled up in a tranquil smile. She looked so peaceful. I swear, if Josh woke her up—

“Is Holly sleeping or like, in a passed-out state?”

“Definitely passed out.”

“Dude! This is an once-in-a-lifetime chance! Do it!”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, bewildered.

“Jeez, you aren’t as bright as I thought you were, Blake. LOOK. DOWN. HER. SHIRT. DUH.”

I said calmly, “Josh. If we weren’t in a cab, with the possible chance Holly could regain consciousness and be a witness, I would totally murder you, right now.”

Josh smartly changed the subject. “Is that Charlotte girl still in love with you?”

“Charlie? Um, I don’t really know.”

“Didn’t she visit the shop yesterday?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Dylan is her brother.”

“No way, man! Seriously? Poor girl. She’s too pretty to have that nasty monster of a creature as a relative. Are you sure that’s why she came?”

“Well, she screamed, ‘BLAKEY!’ the moment she set foot in the shop.”

“Oh.”

For the second time today, I sensed jealousy. “Josh?”

“Mm?”

“You like Charlie, don’t you?”

“Psh, I got Veronica. Just ’cause I’ve had a lot of girlfriends doesn’t mean I cheat on ‘em.”

I persisted, “Alright, alright. I mean, Charlie’s a really nice girl. Cute too—”

“GOTTA GIRLFRIEND! GOTTA GIRLFRIEND!” Josh blared like a siren.

“Okay, okay, I get it. You’ve got a girlfriend, can’t be eyeing other girls. So… where’d you meet Veronica?”

“At a bar.”

“WHOA! Hold up! You? At a bar? I’m not believin’ that.”

If you don’t know Josh really well, you would think the bar is his home, but Josh never drinks. Ever since the drunk-driving accident that caused his parents’ death… Josh would refuse to knowingly be within a mile radius of a bar.

“Lookin’ for a job.”

“Parents’ inheritance running low? Cabbie wages not enough?”

“Nah, it’s just that the boss was threatening to fire me if I kept slacking. So that’s why I’m taking your shift tomorrow, to make it up to you and the boss. I was looking for a back-up job just in case.”