Chapter 9

The conference has already started, but Rob still is nowhere to find. He's probably still involved with that guy. Jesse stares at the paper before him obsessively, analyzing every pore and light spot, but he can't stop thinking about what he witnessed. The two of them gotten so comfortable, and Jesse finally opened up, but Rob still seems to keep to himself. Now that he thinks about it, what did Rob ever share about himself? He certainly didn't tell him about that boyfriend of his, so what else is there Jesse doesn't know. It feels weird to think about these things, they've only known each other for a very short time, so it makes sense that there's still information to be shared, but Jesse can't help but feel betrayed. Whoever that guy in the kitchen was, he doesn't live there, or he would've seen him earlier. So in the case it is his boyfriend they aren't living together. Cant be that serious then. Time is passing painfully slowly, and it's even more painful when Jesse can't stop thinking. Thinking about why he feels the way he does, why Rob never mentioned anyone, and where he's at. Impatiently he taps on the table, when the door to the chamber finally opens.

„Sorry I'm late! God I'm so unprofessional already", Rob whispers while sitting down and getting a notebook out on the table. His hair is still a little messy, but no one would probably notice. His clothes however look flawless, it's like they never went through the procedure they did. „Fun morning, huh?", Jesse tries to play it cool, but the passive aggressiveness is still clearly noticeable. Rob gives him a knowing look, a little uncomfortable by the judgement he faces, but Jesse doesn't look back. Giving me the cold shoulder I see. „Well, you know, could've been better. Sjoerd always comes over at the worst times." He's unsatisfied. This time Jesse does look, and it's like his puppy eyes activated. He didn't mean to, but Rob somehow has the power to make him do things he never knew he could. „I didn't know you have a boyfriend" There's more hurt in those words than intended, and both don't know how to interpret it.

Their little chat doesn't go unnoticed, and people around them start to stare. Some looks are annoyed, some judgemental, and only a few people try to ignore it. Thierry, who is currently holding a speech at the microphone clears his throat, a sound that signals the men to stop talking. The conversation will have to wait, but Jesse can't wait any longer. He needs to know, he doesn't know why or how he's gonna use that information, but he needs an answer. Maybe it would be best if he didn't get one, because there's a high risk at getting hurt, but at this point it doesn't matter. He must know, or the question will burn a big hole inside of him.

Jesse's had enough of speculating, the question eating him alive. As quickly as someone can possibly rip out a small part from a paper without making too much sound, he takes it and writes something down: „Is Sjoerd your boyfriend?" Slowly, so no one would notice, he slides the fragile paper to his neighbor, who acts like he's actively listening to Thierrys speech. „Is Jetten from D66 allowed to ask a question?", suddenly the voice of the chairwoman appears. Only now Jesse notices how Jetten has his hand raised, not paying any attention to him anymore. He can focus on politics, why can't I? As slowly as he slid the paper to Rob, as quickly he draws it back and crumples it up, getting rid of the evidence. Thierry nods his head, so Rob walks up to grab the microphone. His body is long and elegant, the suit snuck perfectly at just the right spots. Shoulders drawn back, hands casually stowed away in his grayish trouser pockets, he's an appearance. Surrounded by all the old men and women, his youth enlightens the place. It's almost impossible to not feel drawn to it.

„Thierry, please correct me if I misunderstood, but did you really say women shouldn't be able to abort without the fathers consent? Who are you, a cis man, to police women's bodies?", Rob says in disbelief, a little laugh of disbelief escaping his mouth. Jesse didn't pay any attention to the speech before, so he didn't know it would be about such a serious topic. If he paid attention he would've said something, now he feels stupid for not standing up. With that he's even prouder at Rob, it's the first time he gets involved into a debate, and he doesn't seem that nervous. I wish I could've been that confident on the first few days. Again, he feels like leaving, but he must see how it'll all play out, he promised Rob he'd take care of him. Okay, maybe he didn't say it out loud, but it's a rule he did for himself.

„Well, the father contributed to the child making. Wouldn't you want your girlfriend to decide that with you?", Thierry seems angry. The girlfriend comment not only makes Jesse uncomfortable, but Rob seems to cringe too. Why would they always assume someone's straight, why is there always this heteronormativity? At the same time Jesse wonders if Rob's gonna out himself now, or if he'll even mention his boyfriend, if he has one, that question's still on the table. Wow I just stopped worrying, and now it comes up again.

„That's not the point! I think in a respectful relationship the pregnant person will talk to their partner, and they'll make that decision together. But a women should never be in a position where someone can pressure her into keeping a child or not. That's a decision she has to make, and believe me women are very capable of making decisions for themselves. You aren't even considering the women who are in a toxic relationship, or the one's that don't know the father. This isn't 1920, we don't need men to police the bodies of others" He's only speaking facts, and Jesse can't help but feel proud of him, proud of what Rob has become. He couldn't agree more. Some women in the chamber nod in approval, and suddenly they start collectively clapping. Jesse claps too, he feels like a mom that congratulates their kid for the first A in school. Rob laughs too now, overwhelmed by the good response. Thierry however isn't amused at all.

Rob's speaking time has come to an end and he returns to his seat, he got to say everything he wanted to. „Good job", Jesse congratulates him, giving him his iconic smirk and a little nudge to the shoulder. Rob can't help but blush, his approval still means the most. Sure, the entire chamber clapping is nice, but nothing's worth more than Jesses proud touch. Jesses fingers still rest on the mans shoulder, and they still watch them, as they travel down his suit jacket, all the way down to his exposed wrist. „I'm proud of you", Jesse eventually says, as they both start to blush again.

„When Sjoerd finds about how I stood up to Thierry today he'll flip out!"

Ouch. Message received. Jesse takes his hand from Robs wrist, and he can feel his stomach turning around, causing him the worst pain he's ever felt for a long time. That happens when you open up, you get reminded why you shouldn't.