Chapter 1 | Savitha

Present day,

Present day,

I never thought that I would end up here.

Yet, here I am, standing in front of the Madras High Court. Just one more time, that's it, and I don't have to see his face ever again.

As soon as the mere thought of him enters my mind, my heart starts beating faster, blood rushes to my head, and I can feel everything around me slow down.

My body reacts the same way it used to two years ago, when ever he's around, but the feelings that course through my veins are a stark contrast to the almost-love, giddiness and excitement that I used to feel when we were newly married. The only feelings that I can ever feel around him now are anxiety, rage, and pure hatred.  

My hands have started sweating on their own accord just at the idea of looking into his eyes. I have no idea if I would ever heal enough to be able to look into those pitch black eyes that I once thought would give me the world, the same dark eyes that are now the reason for my nightmares.

"Hey sis, you sure you wanna come in?," I turn around to see Siddharth Menon, my lawyer, leaning on his blue colored Audi A4, with all the files in his hands and his perfect eyebrows raised in question.

Plastering a fake smile on my face, I nod, "yeah, let's get this over with."

Sid sees right through my façade. "Sav, you needn't be in there, inside the courtroom if you don't want to, you know that right? You think you can handle it?", his eyes are filled with genuine concern and protectiveness that make me feel so much more better all of a sudden. 

"I think I can Sid, and also, I don't want him to ever think that he holds any kind of power over me." He nods gesturing for me to move forward, and with that I use the few steps I have to take before I reach the courtroom to gather whatever is left of my self confidence and thanking god for helping me reconnect with Sid again after all these years.

Standing in front huge teak doors that open into the courtroom, I take a deep breath to calm myself down, before I push open the doors that would finally set me free.

I can do this.

A few minutes after Sid and I take our seats on one side of the courtroom, the doors open loudly, revealing Vijay Prakash, my husband, and if things go as smoothly as I hope they do today, my ex-husband.

He steps into the room like he owns the place, his straight black hair styled neatly, his blue shirt and black formal trousers screaming of professionalism.

Vijay, the only son of Prakash Kumar, 3 times Pammal MLA, and his wife Saradha, had graduated from Symbiosis, Pune with a MBA, four years before we'd gotten married. He ran several successful businesses in and around Tamil Nadu.

The Judge starts going through all our legal documents and the proof that we'd submitted stating that we've been staying apart for a year, and once she's done, she turns towards me, "This is a case of mutual consent, according to the petition that was submitted to the court, the reason being irreconcilable differences, am I right, Mrs. Savitha Vijay Prakash?"

I wince on hearing her use the surname that I now hate, and nod my head stiffly.

"Do you agree to this divorce?", she asks, her voice loud and clear.

"Yes, your honor." I reply, my voice steady, not wavering one bit. 

She stares at me for a few seconds, analyzing my expressions, and when she's sure that I won't change my decision, she turns the other side, to face Vijay.

"Do you Mr. Vijay Prakash, agree to this divorce, one final time?"

He pauses for a second, and looks at his lawyer, who simply nods. My anxiety skyrockets looking at the silent exchange, and I know, that he's gonna create a scene.

No, god, please let it not be what I think it is.

Before I have the chance to avert my eyes, he locks his gaze with me, for a second, everything that has lead to me sitting in a courtroom hits me like a freight train. 

The stench of alcohol, the pain, blood, so much blood, the darkness, the bright white sheets, the metallic tang from the stainless steel in the open air, the emptiness.

I can't breath properly, and my vision starts to blur. Sid squeezes my hands in reassurance, in a silent promise that everything will be alright.

I blink, pushing all those thoughts to a corner, and break his gaze, but not before I see the cunningness and evil swirling in his eyes, something that I didn't even know existed until a year ago.

After a few seconds of awful silence, the words that leave his mouth, crumble the floor beneath my feet.

"I would like to withdraw the petition, your honor."

Hey guys, 

Hey guys, 

I really hope you liked this chapter! 

Do you guys think that it was too long, or should I have made it even longer?

What do you people think about Savitha? 

Also, my first language is not English, but I try my best not to make any errors, but if you guys find any, please do feel free to correct me! Constructive criticism is always welcome, as long as it's a lil' polite. Please don't be silent reads, vote, comment and share. Next update will probably be on Tuesday! Hope you guys enjoyed!

Love, XOXO,

Adhara