Prologue

September 29, 1996

September 29, 1996

It was a warm, sunny day.

Krishnamurthy Ramalingam was in the middle of sorting out accounts of his rice mill when Lakshmi, his 24 year old wife went into labour. The nearest hospital was 3 kilometers away, but on a normal day, it would take you an hour to reach, on the bumpy roads of Pammal, if you value your safety, which was why Lakshmi had been admitted to the Pammal Hospital the day before itself.

The nurse on duty had called and had asked him to reach the hospital as soon as he could. Hoping and praying for the child to be a boy, he took his Tata Safari, praying he wouldn't miss the birth of his first child. 

A good forty-five minutes later, surprisingly, he found himself in front of the hospital, parking his car in the very few parking spaces built there.

As soon as he stepped inside the hospital, Simran, the nurse, rushed up to him and asked him to wait outside the maternity ward as Lakshmi was still in labour, before running back into the ward. 

A few hours later, she came out of the ward, cradling a small bundle in her hands. 

"It's a girl," she announced , "you're lucky, another Lakshmi in the house", she said happily.

Krishnamurthy's face fell for a second, before he regained his composure. "Thankyou," he said, "I'm grateful for the help you've done". "My wife?", he enquired.

"She's doing well," Simran said, nodding, "she should be out in a few minutes, I'll shift her to the room that you'd booked, and you can take them home maybe tomorrow," she said with a soft smile on her face. 

A few minutes later, Krishnamurthy stood straight in front of his wife's hospital room, rehearsing the words he was going to say. Yes, he sure was disappointed that their child wasn't a boy, but he would never say that in front of her, he wouldn't utter a single word that could hurt his wife. 

He opened the door, and went in to find his wife asleep, looking so much more peaceful than he'd ever seen her. A small cry snapped him out of his stupor, and he turned around to look at his daughter, now awake in the cradle beside Lakshmi's bed.

As soon as she opened her bright brown sparkly eyes, he couldn't help but feel protectiveness wash over him. He knew that even though he did not want a daughter, he would still do anything and everything in his power to keep her safe, to make sure that not even a single tear escapes her eyes, and safety in this society is being independent.

Lakshmi who had woken up a few minutes ago, watched as her husband picked their daughter up, and cradled her in his arms, trying to keep her from crying even more. 

"What do you want to name her," She asked him, her heart filling with motherly love as she kept an eye on her daughter. 

"Savitha," Krishnamurthy said, without an ounce of hesitation, "She will be the sun," he said looking at her, "and she'll grow up be the best doctor in the District". 

Hey guys! 

Hey guys! 

I really hope you liked the prologue! There might be a few grammatical errors, and typos, though I try my best not to make any. So, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! Also, I'm a twelfth grader who still hasn't written her boards as they keep getting postponed and it's so damn frustrating! I mean, I've been studying the same thing for like 12 months, and I've still got competitive exams t o write, sigh. God, I'm sorry for the rant, but, yeah, I'll try and update whenever I find some spare time! 

Thanks a lot, 

Laters, XOXO

Adhara