seven

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

    The Darkling was completely unaware of what Nataliya was planning. Him knowing her strategy would be the death of her because she was clearly going for his position. By working alongside Kirigan, Nataliya learned much very useful information, one of it being that while many Grisha looked up to him and followed him blindly he wasn't the best leader. A leader should be feared, which Darkling definitely was, but they should also be respected. Having Grisha girls falling at your feet just because you are good looking is not respect.

    A leader should not deceive his own army and blindly lead them into their death. Nataliya got a glimpse of that feeling, how it is if she is leading a group of people on a mission and she wished for more. She felt good in her skin, having the command, having people believe in her and follow her and the success spreading through the whole group at the finished mission or the praise for her great guidance was the best part. A leader should not be someone who represents that one thing that is tearing their country apart. Shadows, darkness, the Fold.

    A leader should fight with their soldiers, not stay behind the strategy and watch them fight for him. Kirigan has proved he is ancient, old, powerful and he is way less likely to die than the whole of Second Army, yet Nataliya has yet to see him during the battle. She mentioned it once to him – that was her first mistake.

    It was back when she still had some trust in him and it was one late night in his room, they were laying in bed and simply talking. She voiced her dream of getting a higher position one day or getting to lead the army.

    All Kirigan did was laugh at her, understanding that as a joke even though Nataliya wasn't joking. He said something along the lines that he can't imagine people trusting a woman in a leading position. It was safe to say he was sleeping alone that night.

    But it was around that time when Nataliya got promoted to his Second in Command so it wasn't all joke after all. The rest of it is history and Nataliya's will to lead hasn't died down even a smidge. The only other person knowing about this was Genya and only because the two told each other everything and because a big part of Nataliya's plan was formulated because of Genya. To ensure her younger sister a better life, a life she always deserved and never quite had. The feelings Nataliya bore for her sister ran deeper than anything in her life, even the ones she thought she had for Kirigan. Actually, it didn't even compare.

    Nataliya took a deep breath halting her thoughts and remembering where she was. She blinked a couple of times and flickered her eyes across the room. The light shone off of marble in the Throne Room in the Grand Palace where Nataliya was standing amongst other Grisha, behind the General and Alina. Her raging thoughts and her fuzzy mind made her miss Kirigan's introduction when out of nowhere darkness started pooling into the room along with the rumbling. Everyone looked around them and waited in anticipation.