eighteen

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

    Nataliya cleared her throat for good measure to make herself be heard when she stepped in even though the loud swing of the heavy door already did that for her. Alina turned around in her silvery silky gown with a clear shock on her face. Her eyes became even wider when she saw that Nataliya was the one to enter the room. Kirigan on the other hand went back to being completely and utterly serious. Yet there was a detail that Nataliya noticed, he didn't look her in the eye. He hadn't spared her one glance.

    It looked like Alina wanted to say something. Her mouth opened and closed an unfinished sentence on her mind that was blocked from coming out with all the surprise she was feeling. Nataliya hoped she looked serious and professional. She hoped her eyes were not widened and that she didn't wear her resting bitch face but rather a normal one.

    She moved her eyes away from the General and to Alina. ''There's something I need to discuss with the General.''

    Alina furrowed her eyes for a second but she didn't move. Nataliya didn't understand what was not to get all she asked was for her to leave and Alina didn't exactly pick up on it.

    ''It's about the fete. Don't you need to go get ready for that?'' she subtly pointed at Alina's attire that looked like she just woke up from an afternoon nap.

    Alina looked down at herself ashamed before she nodded and walked away from the General. Nataliya observed how General's eyes followed her until she came up to Nataliya and then his dark eyes switched to the redhead.

    ''Oh and tell Genya to come to my room after she's done with you.'' Nataliya turned as she asked Alina.

    Nataliya knew she'll need her sister if she wants to look presentable in the ballrooms later that day. The Sun Summoner nodded again and didn't say a word as she exited the war room and closed the door on her way out. Nataliya let go of the pity smile on her features and turned to the General who was still across the room from her. She held her breath, starting to feel tense from an unknown feeling as she crossed the room in slow steps. Once she was in front of him she stopped and crossed her arms. The war room was quiet, only their beating hearts rung in Nataliya's ears and no matter how much she didn't want to think about it, the sound was always there.

   ''What?'' Kirigan asked finally as he looked up and into Nataliya's eyes.

    Well, guess he had enough time to get his thoughts and feelings under control otherwise he wouldn't look at her at all. Damn him and his old age and experience with lying, thought Nataliya.

    ''What do you mean, what?'' Nataliya countered. As he didn't react to that, Nataliya released her crossed hands and motioned with her hands to the room. ''What was that?''

    ''Wouldn't you like to know,'' Kirigan replied, his signature smile on his features.

    At that moment it did nothing but irritate Nataliya even more than she was from having to see their kiss with her own eyes. ''This is not the time for you to be playing with me.'' She grumbled.