twelve

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

    Nataliya knocked three times on the closed door and the voices that she was hearing from the other side of the door just a moment before stopped immediately. It sounded like two people giggling about something inside. Nataliya lifted her closed fist off the surface of the door and straightened her kefta as she waited. She heard a few footsteps inside before the person stopped and then came a voice.

    ''Come in!''

    Nataliya reached for the handle and pushed the door open. She was met with two pairs of eyes watching her. Genya was standing halfway in the room, facing the doors and Alina was seated on an armchair in her sleeping robes. While Genya's smile dropped at the sight of her older sister and her previous good mood was gone, Alina portrayed a rather curious look. Nataliya first looked at her sister with an expressionless look and the one she received back could speak the words what do you want.

    ''I'm here to speak to Alina,'' Nataliya answered a question that was never asked.

    Alina perked up when she heard that, her eyes wide with interest. The girl settled in here nicely over the past few weeks and she seemed like she got accustomed to her new life. This is why everything new excited her. Genya had an unimpressed look on her face but she stepped sideways and gestured into the room with her hand. Nataliya closed the door behind her and looked past Genya to Alina. She half expected her sister to leave, but the younger Safin never intended to move from her spot. Nataliya took it that she will stay and listen, and she had nothing to do about it.

    ''I couldn't catch you earlier to talk. It's about that favour that you asked of me.'' Nataliya stepped closer to where Alina was sitting.

    In a matter of moments, Alina's expression changed from curious, to confused as she tried to remember what she asked of her then back to excitement about what Nataliya's going to say. ''And?''

    Nataliya stayed silent for a little while trying to form a complete sentence in her head. She completely disregarded that the whole way to Alina's room she thought about what she's going to say and couldn't come up with it. Alina saw the hesitation in her and her excited smile dropped.

    ''I couldn't find him.'' The redhead cut straight to the point. ''I asked around, asked for the 36th and they said that that unit left a while ago. Some said they were sent north, maybe even as north as Chernast but no one wanted to give me reliable information. That's all I know.'' She tried to elaborate and didn't know if she made it worse for the Sun Summoner or not.

    Alina looked away, a distant look overcoming her face. It made Nataliya almost want to say I'm sorry because she felt like she had one job and couldn't do it. Nataliya could be tough and acted accordingly to her position, she could be snarky towards the General and sarcastic but she had a big soft spot for girls. Her sister, now Alina, before that even Nina.