1

"Where am I...?"

I woke up in the front of a church, with the sky above dark, and I quickly came on and confirmed it was nighttime. I noticed my body was bruised, but nobody was around to cure it, so I didn't bother.

I blinked two times, the first one I saw nothing. I closed my eyes, and the second I saw a figure. They were looking down at me with a worried look on their face.

"Are you ok? Do you need help?"

It seemed like....a nun? They must run the building behind which is ....a church.

I looked up at the person. It looked like a female, and she gave me a genuine smile.

"Wait, I know you..." she said.

I started to sweat, knowing that she'll report me to the people that are targeting me. But, she seemed (and looked) nice enough not to.

"Hmm...You're that runaway child from the news! Don't worry, I won't report you."

"Anyways, would you like to join our church?"

"Church?" That word echoed in my head. I could see the nun in my head next to a door to the building, opening a world to peace.

I nodded, and the woman took me inside and showed me around. "This is the church! We do service every Sunday, but not too many people come around anymore. So we're happy that you're here!"

I looked up at her, still giving me a smile. I wonder if she practices this, or just doesn't leave a crack in her face. But I was too busy to wonder, and walked around.

"Where's your home?" I asked.

"Oh! This is actually my home, I've been living here since I was a little girl."

"Names Sarvante by the way, and I monitor this church!"

After hearing that I remained quiet, and for 30 minutes straight I heard her talking about everything I wanted to know. But she wouldn't reveal anything personal about herself, being silent if I asked her about her earlier life.

That is, until another tall figure came into the church. It was a man with a russian hat, and slightly flinched when he saw me.

"Sarv...Who is this in here?" He asked.

"Oh, this is a person I found in front of the church! It seemed like they needed help, so I offered them to stay with us!"

"...You can't just let random people into the church. What if they want to hurt you?"

"Oh, don't be such a bad apple. They were hurt when I saw them, and I couldn't resist the chance to help."

The guy sighed and walked away. He was here with food, and we all sat around in the dead middle of the church and ate.

"By the way...This is Ruv. He's been staying with me ever since I was little, and he's with me for a long time."

I scanned his appearance and recognized him. Sometimes when I attempt to find food, he manages to steal food from upscale restaurants without being caught. But whenever I encountered him, he'd ignore my presence, not even looking at me in the eye when I try to speak. But sometimes he would give me food without saying a word, and nobody knew where he went. But now I know.

"What time is it...?" I ask.

"Hm..." Sarvante checks the giant clock in the church. "Oh! It's time to head to bed, tomorrow's Sunday!"

Ruv didn't want to sleep, so he walked out of the church. And God knows that he walked to.

"It seems like he doesn't want to sleep now. Well, he's always on the run, so I'm used to seeing him go outside for no particular reason."

"Come, (Y/N). I will lead you to our room."

Sarvante shows me to her and Ruv's room. It was surprisingly big, and about 5 people can sleep in here. The blankets were soft, and it was warm. I never felt this feeling for 2 years; it made me feel like I was at home.

"You can take the daybed! Me and Ruv sleep together in the same bed, but there's a barrier split between the bed, nothing too serious."

I smiled at her.

"Good night Sarvante."

"Good night (Y/N)! Let God lead you through the night."

I slept great, nothing like being outside. Usually I'd find a place to make fire in a downtown alley, then grab out the blanket that my mother gave to me. But there would always be rats and other rodents to disturb my sleep.

For some reason, I woke up in the middle of the night. I saw Sarvante talking to Ruv, not having a smile like usaul.

"So...What do we do with (Y/N)?"

"Hm...I don't know Ruv. I think they should stay with us for a couple of weeks, and then we'll send them off to-"

I could hardly hear anything, and I was unaware of what her last words were. Finally, I catched on again.

"...Suit yourself Sarvante. But be aware of what you're doing."

Ruv left the room.

I could see Sarvante's Silhouette, and I heard an eerie sound. I was scared and worried, and I didn't see too much, so I went back to sleep so she couldn't see that I was awake.

And so, that's how my life was stolen away.