25. look who the Kat dragged in

PREVIOUSLY: Eva confronts Kat and finds out she's been secretly seeing Chris for a few weeks; Kat makes her swear she won't tell anyone and Eva reluctantly agrees, but she still expresses her opposing feelings on the matter and points out that this kind of relationship is very likely to crash and burn sooner rather than later; Kristi and Mark are enjoying an idyllic morning but when he sets out to have breakfast at the geek's place, she quickly comes up with a pretext to keep him away from there because, due to her past experiences of being cheated on, she is still suspicious of his friendship with Kat; her paranoia is only fuelled by what she finds out about Kat and Chris' relationship from Cornell himself; Mike takes Gwen out on a fancy dinner date with the intention of proving (more so to himself than her) that there's no one better in bed than him by the end of the night; she still says nothing about her evaluation of his past performances; Andy, Stone, and Jeff brainstorm together to figure out a way to get their MLB merch back from Heather; Jeff has no hang ups about the breakup but she is doing everything in her power to get back at him.

"To be fair, a huge factor in me mistaking Iggy Pop for a homeless person was his haircut at the time," Kat slides a tray of cupcakes into the oven and comes over to the couch, leaving a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. "It looked super greasy and probably smelly. But then again, his hair might always look like that in person for all I know."

"It probably does."

"You're probably right."

"You didn't go up to him, did you?"

"Pft duh."

"Why not?"

"I don't want to be yet another 'I'm your biggest fan' that they have to listen to."

"What about you having a moment with someone you look up to?"

"You know what they say about meeting your heroes..."

"Do you really think that? Why would you look up to someone who's actually an asshole then?"

"I don't know..." She shrugs. "I feel like it can get old and annoying."

"You mean for the famous person? They're probably used to it... They probably even expect it to some degree."

"Not a good enough excuse. I just prefer to not bother people."

"I whole heartedly agree."

"Then why are you arguing with me, Arm?!"

"Because it's fun!" I grin at Kat as she goggles at me. "How are the cupcakes doing?"

"Literally just put them in the oven forty seconds ago."

"So what you're saying is...they're not done yet?" She sighs ad shakes her head, although I'm pretty sure that's not meant to be an answer but rather a vague acknowledgement of my question. "Why do you like baking so much?"

"Haven't you asked me this before? It's relaxing."

"You seemed pretty far from relaxed when you thought your persimmon caramel wasn't gonna turn out."

"It's relaxing in a stressful way," she doesn't miss a beat.

"Explain."

"I love the creative process, I love thinking up new recipes and then trying them..."

"So that's what it is when you mumble flavour and food words to yourself randomly."

"...and I also really enjoy feeding people, especially something that they might not usually eat because it's kind of a treat. So...at the end of the day, if I baked something good, I can relax."