Chapter 19 - Leaving For England

Ezio killed him. I was too late. Goddammit! Ezio told me of the tale when he returned.

"I followed him up to Monterrigoni, where he eventually trapped himself on a bridge. It took a while, but I finally ended it. Now, Borgia forces will start to leak out of Italia."

"Well done, Ser." I shook his hand. "You did very well. I hope to hear of good things when I return in a good few years time."

"What do you mean?"

"Me, Alf and Alberta are leaving to live in England for a while. I know it is sudden, but we feel it is right. It gives Alberta time to grow up in the place she truly belongs - because I swear she is more Alf's daughter than mine. It gives me chance to get away from here for a while. Alf gets to go home. I see it as a good idea."

"Well, good luck. I hope you come back very soon."

"Me too." I said. I hugged him, and even though he hadn't expected it, he didn't pull me away. I got up and left. I couldn't bear to say goodbye to the others, so I decided to not at all. I sat down, rubbing my eyes.

"Alf, is it hard?" I asked. He stared curiously at me.

"Is what hard, Cree?"

"Moving countries. Changing lifestyles and cultures. I am not fluent in English, I know it a little."

"That doesn't matter. I knew no Italian when I got here, that didn't stop me. You learn and adapt as you go along. You may not feel as if you fit in at first, but you can do it if you try." he stopped for a moment. "If you are having second thoughts..."

"No! I have to do this, for you and Alberta. I need to get out of Italia, not for forever, but just enough time for Alberta to have a decent upbringing and for my head to clear. I can do it."

"That's the spirit! Anyway, you don't have to hide your Italian roots like I hid my English roots! I could easily translate for you if that is the case. English is quite a tricky language. But we shall work it out." he said. I was about to respond, when Emily burst through the door.

"Mother, whatever is the matter?" Alf asked her.

"When were you planning to tell me that you are going back to Cambridgeshire?" she questioned him. He looked a little sheepish.

"I forgot. But it is fine, you may come with us."

"Like you had a choice on whether I was coming or not. As my son, I need you to go and get my house back. Damn Templars took it from me. You are more than welcome to move in."

"OK then! As long as all baby stories remain secret." he muttered. I stared at him.

"No chance in hell! I want them all, and I am going to learn how to read and write just so I can make a storybook out of them. The tales of young Alfred Benedict, I shall call it." I said, dreamily. He looked a little frightened that I would.

"It would be pointless to learn to read and write for that! My childhood stories were dull and dreary. Mother, I shall run away again if you are to tell Creedence of them! And I am kidnapping her to go with me!"

"Kidnapping wouldn't be necessary. I would stalk you, even if you didn't want me to." I said, sounding a tad creepy. Oh well. He smiled, not looking up. "Are you sure that is alright, Emily?"

"Of course! I would feel a lot better to have people in the house. It can get incredibly lonely, especially after Alfred and Albert left." she muttered. I was shocked.

"Albert?" I asked.

"My Father. I should have told you earlier. That was why I was hoping Alberta would be female, so we wouldn't call her Albert." Alf admitted.