(17) Surprise!

Sorry for the wait! I've been studying for finals. (: Enjoy!

---------------------------------

I felt like a little girl. That kiss had me floating. I bit my lip and skipped up to the apartment joyfully. Rayner was waiting up for me like I guessed he would be. His demeanor was odd, and I knew something was off I just hoped he hadn't found out what I was really doing all night. I removed my jacket and sat beside him on the couch he tensed up, and had me really worried.

"What's up?" I asked nervously, I didn't really want to know but I was dying inside not knowing. He turned to me slowly, and my heart picked up. What did he know?

"I just got off the phone with the police and they believe they've caught uhm, the guy..." My stomach flipped and my head got fuzzy. Was he serious? THE guy? I couldn't believe my ears. This soon? What was going to happen next?

"The guy? Are they sure?" My mind was buzzing with questions, but I didn't want him to get overwhelmed with my overactive brain. He shrugged standing up slowly pacing the room. I leaned back on the couch breathing quicker.

"This is where it gets tricky they are going to need you to fly out Friday night and come into the station. They need you to verify if it's him or not." I ran a hand through my hair. Me verify? What if I put someone in prison that was the wrong guy? I could not have that on my conscience. Then there is the possibility that it actually is the guy. Could I even see him without breaking down?

"They were wearing masks. How am I suppose to know?" I retaliated becoming slightly panicked. "What if I convict an innocent man?" He crossed the room and knelt in front of me grabbing one of my small cold hands with his large warm one. He smiled gingerly at me, his eyes were tender.

"Voice, height, and what about his eyes? You told me something about his eyes." He explained giving me hope that I could do this. I nodded acknowledging that it might possible for me to identify him, but it didn't calm me either. I didn't want to see him again. He killed my parents, I already had nightmares about him and now I had to come face to face with him?

"I don't want to see him." I shook my head and started crying. Way to be strong Tori. I was such a baby all the time, this time I feel like I had the right to be. He smiled sympathetically sitting back beside me.

"I know." He grabbed me by the back of my head and pulled my face into his chest, rubbing my arms. The friction relaxed my body and stopped the convulsing. "It'll be okay." He promised, but the comfort only made me feel guilty, I didn't deserve it. I didn't deserve to have someone as nice as Rayner. Not when I had been so bad to him lately.

"Are you coming with me?" I asked hopefully, the only way I was going to be able to do this successfully was if he came along. He looked at me with sad eyes and I immediately knew he probably wasn't going. That only had my eyes tearing more.

"I don't know if I can, they asked me to stay here and watch the house in case anything happened here... They've hired another man to meet us at the airport..." I sighed deeply, how was I suppose to do this alone? "If I can come with you I will. I promise." I smiled at him wiping the tears from my cheeks. He really was something, I just hoped he would be able to be by my side.

"Thank you." He hugged me to him tightly making me feel safe. I had no words for how nervous I was about this trip especially with the possibility that he may not be able to come.

"Anytime." He smiled giving me one last squeeze. Once he let me go I stood up. I needed to clear my head and the only place for me to do that was in the shower. There I would have time to myself.

"I am going to take a shower." I told him. I needed to feel the warmth over my skin. I needed a place to relax right now, I wanted to chill out.

"Alright I will be here." He smirked his eyes at me. I went straight to the bathroom and stripped. Once the water was warm I stepped in and let it cascade over me and lost myself to the rhythm of the stream.

I spent nearly forty-five minutes in the shower thinking. Friday was tomorrow... Even though I didn't deserve it, I really hoped Rayner could come along. I needed him, no matter how much I hated to admit it.

I stepped out of the shower and dressed in comfortable pajamas, then I went to my jewelry box. If I was doing this alone, I would have some part of Rayner. I pulled out the dog tags he had lent me my first day of school. I read them carefully tracing my fingers over his engraved name. I slid the tags over my head and clutched them. Stop being such a weenie and grow a pair Tori. He can't hurt you again.

***

"I just got off the phone with my boss." Rayner told me over breakfast.

"Oh yea? What did he say?" I tried to sound genuinely curious, but it came out sounding more desperate than I'd intended.

"Just that I can come with you." He shrugged casually, but couldn't stop the grin spreading across his face. I sprang up.

"Really?!" He nodded smiling. I jumped up and down like a little kid then sat back down after smoothing out my skirt. "What about the apartment?"

"Already taken care of, all he did was switch us. Tom, the officer who was going to go with you, will be staying here and I will be going with you." I smiled this would be a lot easier with him.

"Awesome." He agreed.

***

I was fidgeting all day, dropping things, knocking stuff over, I was a total mess. "What is wrong with you Tor?" Jackson pulled me aside. I clutched my bag uncomfortably unable to look at him.

"Just, I have to go out of town for a few days and I'm nervous about flying." Technically that wasn't a complete lie.

"There's nothing to worry about... Where are you going?" I knew he'd ask. I swallowed I was really becoming quite the liar.

"To visit my grandparents. I will be back." I smiled fakely. I didn't want to lie to him, but I couldn't exactly say, I'm going to possibly convict my parents murderer.

"When are you going to be back?" He frowned tucking a piece of my curled hair behind my ear. I wasn't exactly sure, It was possible I wasn't ever coming back.

"Sometime Sunday probably." He nodded thoughtfully flicking his brown locks attractively.

"Well I will miss you." He smiled wrapping his arms around my waist grazing my jaw with his nose.

"Mhmmm, I uhm, I got to get to class." I pushed him away gently and practically sprinted to class. It was eighth period and I was seriously shaking my legs were bouncing up and down, I felt like I was going to puke. The second the bell rang I bounded out of class and ran to the parking lot, I couldn't talk to Jackson in this condition, he'd know I was lying. Rayner and I went home to grab our packed bags and greet Tom. He was a bald old man, but I wouldn't underestimate him. He had that whole badass vibe under his "gentle" exterior. He seemed a little bummed he'd be missing out on the action, but otherwise was fine with sitting this one out. It was nearly four which mean't it was time to go. I was falling apart slowly, and I didn't know if I could do this.

"Tori go down to the car, I'll get those, we are going to be late if we don't hurry." I nodded and wobbled down to the car. As if I wasn't under enough pressure already, a certain boy in a leather jacket thought it would be a good idea to see me off.

"Jackson?" My eyes widened and I could have fainted right there. Was he completely out his gorgeous mind.

"I wanted to surprise you." He smiled like he was the most clever man in the world.

"Who's this Tori?" Jackson's eyes darkened as Rayner's voice suddenly sounded from behind me. Thank you life, for never letting me catch a break....ever.

________________

I'm sooooo sorry this is late, I've been really busy! We had a snow day and I decided I'd spend it writing this for you all! It's sort of short and boring, but next chapter will be better I promise! (: