(30) K.O.

Hours and hours went by before they finally were able to trace the number only to find he'd used a payphone. A payphone that was only about a mile from our residence and that most definitely was not reassuring. I wanted him found, and out of my hair. I wished I could not be afraid all the time, I hated how much control he had without even trying.

I'd been sitting in a back room for over an hour waiting on Rayner. I wasn't enjoying sitting here alone, I needed his comfort. I needed to be safe in his arms, and sitting here all alone wasn't making me feel safe. A small knock on the door made my heart hammer in my chest.

Officer Burns opened the door and sat beside me. He was not helping my situation, I didn't know this man and that bad feeling was still there. I tried to trust him though because he did know my parents so well.

"Where's Rayner?" I wondered out loud because I didn't want to be completely alone with this man, last time we were monitored and now there was no one watching.

Burns just shrugged sitting a bit too close for my liking. "I think they are making a plan. Sorting arrangements, figuring out what to do about all of this." He spoke lowly and my pulse quickened. He didn't sound as happy as I thought he would be. We were on the trail of the people who murdered my parents and yet he seemed mopey.

"Oh, why are you here?" He looked at me through his lashes and rested his hand on my knee setting off a red flag. Why was he touching me? There was no reason for him to be touching me.

"Moral support?" He offered. "I thought it would be nice of me to be here sort of as a friend to help you after all you've been through." I gulped silently as he patted my knee and raised his hand to my face brushing my hair over my ear. "Did it hurt?" I wasn't sure what he was asking.

"What? Did what hurt?" He traced the pink line down my face. I didn't respond, I hated talking about it and I wasn't about to go spilling my story to him.

"What they did to you?" I shrugged feeling more uncomfortable by the second because this mans hands were on me. "Not many grown men could take a switchblade to the face. I mean the strength to refuse him must have been very difficult." It had been quite difficult to lay there and take it without submitting but- did he say switchblade to the face? I looked into Officer Burns' eyes questionably. "What?" My mouth was suddenly very dry.

"How did you know?" His face crinkled up in false confusion that let me know he was lying.

"Know what?" He frowned.

"It was a switchblade?" His face went blank as he realized his mistake. My blood ran cold. "Tell me how you knew." I demanded and he grinned wickedly.

"Because I was there while you were bleeding on the fucking floor. I watched Dominic stab your father till he bled out on the kitchen floor along with your filthy no good mother." His revelation was enough to make me feel faint. "Your parents were fucking scum. They disgusted me. I watched them ruin people's lives everyday. Forclosing homes, taking money from the poor, barely paying me over minimum wage to be their personal bitch. So don't sit there and look at me like I'm some kind of criminal. I was just doing everyone a favor." I jumped up to call for help but he clasped his hand tightly around my mouth. "I've been watching you Tori. I've wanted you since the first time I saw you in that little school girl skirt of yours." He groped my breast making me cry out a muffled plea for help. "I'm going to enjoy killing you, I'm going to bring you to Dominic and we will finish you together. Of course not until you've handed over the money." I sobbed into his hand struggling to break from his grasp, but he was much too strong. "Time for the escape route. Now we have your little boyfriend Jackson," He pulled out his phone showing me pictures of a beaten and bound Jackson that had me crying harder. "but we are willing to make a trade. Are you willing?" I nodded against his chest.

"Now you aren't going to scream when I let go and you aren't going to run. If you do Jackson is finished got it?" I nodded again tears streaming my face. I hoped someone would walk in, but I wasn't so lucky. He let me go and spun me around. "I'm parked around back. Tell someone you need to use the restroom, and meet me in the back parking lot. If you so much as breathe any kind of hint at anyone so help me God I will paint the walls in that boys blood." I cried nodding in understanding. This was how it ended.

Burns assualted me one last time with his hands stroking me in places I'd been saving for Rayner. Ending it with a kiss on the cheek. "What a shame, you really are a beautiful girl." He winked and stepped out of the room. I ran to the trash can immediately and dry heaved into it.

My parents trusted him. I trusted him only to find out he was a liar. There was no Maverick it was just him, some guy, and Dominic. Even after all he'd told me I was more afraid of coming face to face with Dominic because he was the face I'd feared all along. He was the person that haunted me at night.

Just as I was dry heaving once more into the trash can Rayner appeared in the door way sent to retreive me. He rushed to my side and held my hair to the side even though nothing spewed. "Are you okay?" I'm sure I looked disheveled and all a mess. I nodded trying not to give him any reason to believe I knew everything.

"I need to use the restroom." I said almost robotically. Rayner nodded helping me to my wobbly feet. He guided me to the bathroom, I made sure to give him a long hug before entering. Immediately I knew I wasn't going to be able to escape. He would wait for me at the exit so I had to find another way out. Unluckily there was a window in the bathroom just big enough for me to squeeze through. The drop was sort of far but I had no choice. It was jump or let Jackson die. So I jumped twisting my ankle as I hit the ground not so gracefully. The bathroom was on the side of the building and I could see the back parking lot from here.

Slowly I made my way into the clearing shaking the whole way. Partially from the cold air, but mostly from fear. At the end of the parking lot was a black van that stood out. I knew it was the getaway van I was to meet Burns in. I took one step toward it only to endure an excruciating blow to the head that knocked me out cold. K.O.