00 | Prologue

The chances that I would get out of here alive were as slim as none. But she; my little angel, she had to. Even if I, for some miracle, do manage to live, I'll give it all up for her. The real miracle of life. The real miracle of my life.

As she, in the midst of darkness―including mine―was able to shine like a beacon. One of hope.

My feet moved faster than it ever did, and mana left by body by every breath that I took. I was willing to risk it all, give it my all, even if it kills me. My daughter will  leave this place alive.

I looked at the child in my arms, her eyes wide open. Even in the rumbling turmoil, she remained still and quiet. As if she knew what was happening. And for a moment, as we met each other's gaze, I could've sworn that I saw a glimpse of her smile.

My chest swelled up with all the love that I could give. Love that I could only wish would be enough for my darling child.

I hope she forgives me.

As I stared into the most mesmerizing sea green eyes, I felt myself get lost in them. As if I was swimming in the deepest waters, not breathing yet not having the need for air. At the very end of the mystifying journey, I saw him; Rias. The only other person I knew that could manage to get me lost in his eyes―my child's father. Sadly, he is no longer with us.

I could only imagine the pain that she would feel once she realizes that she would lose me too.

It was tiring to run away. Not only was my wounded body gradually becoming incapable of handling it, but so were my mind and soul. Even so, I continued to move my feet, staggering a few times while doing so.

Deep into the forest, I saw a knight. He was only waiting there, eyes set on me, and I already knew what it meant before he even had the chance to make a signal. I nodded at him and he nodded back. I could feel my eyes sting from from how overwhelmingly quick the events were passing.

The realization that dawned upon me made my breath hitch. This was what they were talking about so earnestly whilst we were in hiding. My eyes started to blur with tears, touched by the lengths that Rias took.

I found myself within the depths of the forest, being greeted by the calming breeze of exuding petrichor. My eyes proceeded to search intently for the brave knight. We caught glimpse of each other and the blink of an eye, he was bowing in front of me.

Just when I thought that Rias had already given his all, now standing before me was proof that he was all the more better than how I could ever expect him to be. Even in death, he never failed to protect us. I could never be more grateful, my darling. Mere words will never be enough to express just how much you and our Tia mean to me.

Carefully, I placed my daughter in the knight's arms. "Protect my Tia for me, Sir." I lowered my head as I implored such a burdensome request. When I raised my head, I was met with fierce and determined eyes. I could just feel the willpower that he possessed. As if telling me that he was willing to risk―give―his life for the sake of my daughter. And while I was remorseful that we were being a liability to him, it could never be compared to the gratitude that I felt.

"It is of my own volition, my lady. The captain placed the little miss in my protection since the day that she was born and almost immediately, she was able to find her place in my heart. I would be damned―I will damn myself  if I were not able to fulfill my duty."

I smiled and nodded as I gave him my thanks. Maybe... if sir knight were to live, he could give Tia the parental love that her father and I would fail to give her. My gaze drifted back to my daughter, having so little time left together.