ᴠɪ | LONESOME TRANSCENDENCE

CHAPTER 6

LONESOME TRANSCENDENCE

The sun had yet to rise when Eris instructed Oscar to assemble the Silvamillion Knights, relieved when she discovered that most of them, even those not on duty, were sober despite being awake at half past one in the morning. By the looks on their faces, it seemed as though the news of Celeste's disappearance had reached some of them earlier, while the others found out at around the same time as her.

"I'll be leaving for a while," Eris hastily informed a concerned Mimosa as she begrudgingly chose the members of her search party, barely giving in after Oscar reasoned that she'd have a better chance of finding Celeste in an organized group rather than hurrying off on her own. It was put to an end when Eris argued that Hage was much closer to their destination compared to the Royal Capital, and the man proposed that he'd send one of the men to ask for Finral Roulacase's assistance, which she wasn't able to refute.

She beckoned each chosen knight over to her, not passing the Vermillion another glance. Noelle shared the same sentiments as her cousin, giving Mimosa a brief nod as a signal for her to start her own attempt at reaching out.

"Eris," Noelle started as the golden-haired girl gave out orders in an agitated manner. "Eris," she called out again, more carefully this time, noticing how her friend was moments away from losing her composure.

When Eris made the signal to depart as soon as the preparations were set, Noelle reached out for her arm in a panic. Eris tensed at the contact and harshly tugged on her arm without a second thought. She gave the girl an attempted glare, failing to give an actual one when she saw the pleading in Noelle's eyes.

With an added weight on her chest, Eris willed her voice to become stable, gaze turning cold.

"Don't wait for me."

     AN EERIE SILENCE was all that filled the tense air, the early morning light clashed with the blurred images of green and brown that passed Eris' sight as she briskly pushed her legs off the ground. Even as she surrounded herself with mana, her supply of it seemed to replenish with every step. Unknowingly, her form flashed every once in a while, disappearing from a distance then appearing again only a second later and having travelled a considerable gap. The sweat that began to bead on her forehead had not nearly been enough of an indicator of how long she'd been searching within the forests, traversing each and every obstacle with ease despite the ache on the soles of her sandal-clad feet.

Her golden hair was constantly held back by the wind as she travelled in her rapid pace, appearing to flash a lighter hue every so often. The once neat and snow white colour of the skirt of her dress had been stained with filth, the hem tattered with the highest cut reaching just below her knee. She'd left behind every Silvamillion Knight that had gone along to escort her, having long discarded worry about her own safety in a desperate attempt to find the only living memory she had left of her parents; the woman who'd treated her like family despite not having shared a drop of blood.

Eris was struck by a strong sense of nausea, her head pounding in trepidation; a foreboding feeling rising to tell that the event she feared most had happened. She quenched the uneasy weight, reassuring herself that it surely hadn't despite the insolent thought that prodded her and told her that she always knew it was bound to come true.