5. The Café

What else could I have done? I run through the corridors searching for solace in the dark corners. While I run, memories flash by. Broken glasses, blood on my hands, headlights making his body shine like the sun did on our last date, I'm shivering while holding his crippled state, red lights and the sirens...

I see an empty classroom and get inside. I squat in a corner. I hear myself crying and hiccupping, the thoughts keep running in my head and I just can't stop. I don't notice when she comes inside and sits beside me, putting her arm around my shoulder. We sat there for a while, my muffled sobs resonating in the empty classroom.

Then she speaks

"I saw you talking to him. I wasn't eavesdropping I promise, but I was just worried about you"

"Okay," I say.

"Okay," she says

Silence.

"I've been so ignorant of everything and everyone," I begin. "I didn't know he lost his leg in the accident. I thought he only had a fracture in his arm. I really did not, did not-" my voice cracks and I tear up again.

"I know," she says.

I look at her. She resembles Abigail so much.

I wipe my tears. "How have you been, Arlett?" I ask

"Me? Oh, I've been doing ok. Better than before," she says.

"That's nice to hear," I say.

Another wave of silence follows. I find it comforting.

"Hey, do you wanna hit the café you guys used to go to? I've heard a lot of tales about Ginger. I want to see him," she says.

"Sure. I was planning to go there anyway to check up on that cat. Let's go together."

So we both get up and start heading out when our way is blocked by Liam.

"You ran away," he said, trying to catch his breath. He was apparently running, or maybe kind of running.

"I searched for you everywhere," he continues.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you had...I didn't know I-" I stammer.

"It's not your fault. I never told anyone until today. Even Arlett saw it today," he cuts me off.

"But I didn't-" I start

"Don't blame yourself Scarlette" he interrupts again.

"Hey Liam, wanna hang out with us? We were planning to hit the café," Arlett asks

"Yes, I'll come. I've got nothing better to do anyway," he says.

"The more, the merrier," Arlett chimes.

The café isn't very far so we decided to walk. The semester has just started and I'm already bunking classes. Great!

"Wait. It's a pet café?" Liam asks.

"Yeah," I say.

"Holy smokes! Why didn't you tell me before?" Liam asks in an excited voice.

"Now you know," Arlett says.

Liam Alystair loves animals. Liam Alystair loves Affogato. Liam Alystair loves the typical romance - Romeo and Juliet. Liam Alystair loves football. Liam Alystair loves songs. Liam Alystair especially loves Ed Sheeran's songs. Liam Alystair loves summers. Liam Alystair loves slow dancing. Liam Alystair loves yellow. And Liam Alystair still loves me.

I look at him as this list loops in my mind. Everything we had. Everything we shared. And then the downfall.

Arlett pushes the door open and the warm smell of croissants, coffee and cats brings me back to my senses.

We enter the café. The owner recognizes me and immediately rushes forward to hug me. Abigail's death must have spread like wildfire.

"Hello sweetie. Here to see Ginger I suppose." she inquires.

I nod.

"You bad girl. Don't you ever think about me?" she jokes.

I chuckle. This is the woman I love. She knows exactly what to say. I really admire her.

"Well he is at his usual spot. What should I get you guys? The usual for you, Scary? Espresso and croissants?"

"Yes, Mrs. Gazelle," I laughed at the sobriquet.

"What about you young man and..." she stops short.

I look at her and then it hits me. Of Course Abigail and Arlett are sisters. They must have a very striking resemblance.

"Arlett," I say to her. "She is Abbie's little sister."

I stare at her for a reaction. She doesn't flinch. I know this woman. She will put up a strong front in front of them. And later when the café closes, she'll hide behind the walls and cry.

"Oh I see," she says. "What should I get for you two?"

"I'll have an americano with hazelnut syrup please," says Arlett

"And I'll have-" Liam starts.

"An Affogato," I half whisper and then realizing what I did, clasp my hands over my mouth.

"Yes, I'll have exactly that," Liam says.

Before I am questioned any further I follow Mrs. Gazelle offering to help her but she pushes me away to go and meet Ginger. So I went to where he sat.

I pick Ginger up from his basket and start to stroke him. He purrs. His soft voice fills the room. He remembers me. There are no other customers here except us. Arlett comes up to me and begins to stroke him but he growls. She instantly removes her hand in fright.

Mrs. Gazelle laughs as she gets us our coffee. "He has always been like that. Never allowing anyone but Scary and Abbie to touch it. Alright come on. Have your coffee. You lads won't mind me joining you will you?"

My savior. I will not have to face Liam if she joins us.

"Of Course not. Oh my god! These croissants smell so sweet. You are such a sweetheart. Mrs. Gazelle" Arlett squeals

"I'm not giving you a discount. Don't try that trick on me" Mrs. Gazelle laughs.

"But Mrs. Gazelle, are you not having one? There seems to be only three" Arlett asks.

Abigail and I used to fight for the last croissant all the time. And Mrs. Gazelle always ended up eating the third one.

My eyes well up. Mrs. Gazelle notices and says, "Scary and I will split it. Shall we, dear?"

I nod, my head down, eyes focused on stroking Ginger. I blink the tears away and take my coffee joining their conversation about how Mrs. Gazelle has to wake up to dog shit outside the café every morning because dog owners don't give a damn about where their dogs poop and how she had threatened to throw her cat litter on them the next time they repeated it. I laugh at the thought of dear, kind Mrs. Gazelle, aiming to throw litter.

We sit there in the warmth of her café, talking, with Ginger never leaving my side.