8. Friends

Two weeks have passed since Arlett stayed over at ours and two weeks have passed since I've seen Lancelot or even Liam as a matter of fact. Lancelot did not come to see me. Liam has not been coming to school. My life is the same as it had been, except that now Arlett and Izzy run into me all the time and we end up hanging out at Mrs. Gazelle's café. These two weeks were not so bad after all.

Mr. Rydynnoff, my history teacher, is very impressed that I've finally stopped visiting the infirmary every time during his class. He seems to be keen on giving me lots of homework and research stuff to do too. He says that working and making myself busy will help me keep my mind off things. I am not a fan of my history teacher, nor am I a fan of the subject but I must agree that being busy has helped me empty my mind.

All I've been doing for the last two weeks is research, research and research. And on top of it all, he lets me research on topics that I like. It's not even related to what he teaches in class. He has also been kind enough to listen to me talk about the myths pertaining to the Arthurian Legend, admiring the history of Egypt, their Pharaohs, especially listening to me wonder how beautiful Nefertari was and laughing at my rants on Greece mythology.

I'm actually glad that he doesn't find my interests boring. His subject mostly revolves around boring revolutions. I wasn't surprised that he wouldn't be interested in Egyptians. He seems to be doing his own research these days and has been telling me lots of interesting stuff too. In school I'm either seen speaking to Mr. Rydynnoff or to Isabelle and Arlett.

My classmates still see me like I have stamped bad omen on my forehead and avoid me all the time. This doesn't bother me in the least. I mean why should it when they literally squeeze themselves against the walls when I walk past through the corridors. It's funny seeing them sticking like lizards to the wall and giving me lots of space to show off the only two jeans I wear to school. Izzy has already given up on trying to make me look like the modern Nefertari. That's how I perceive her 'you have the freedom to dress how you like, I give up dolling you'. Frankly, having to decide a dress to wear everyday, was maddening.

"Miss Hebrew," Mr. Rydynnoff calls. "Will you please stay behind?" I was looking forward to sitting under the chestnut tree and eating that big bar of chocolate I bought this morning. I nod watching the rest of the class shuffling out of the classroom noisily. Mr. Rydynnoff waits for all of them to leave then stares at the desks as if considering something. When he doesn't say anything I cough to grab his attention.

"Ah yes. Miss Hebrew," he says, assuring me that he is aware I'm here waiting for him.

When after 5 minutes he still doesn't say anything I say "Mr. Rydyn-"

"Vincent," he says, cutting me off.

He looks at me. It's like I'm paralyzed. I try to speak but words won't come out.

"I knew Vincent. We grew up together. We were the school brats," Mr. Rydynnoff chuckles. "That's what everybody at school called us. Although Vincent didn't fancy the name much. He preferred to be called 'The Invincible Mortals'," Mr. Rydynnoff laughs again looking as if he was reliving those moments he spent in his childhood.

I'm sure I was looking like a cat being yeeted into space.

"Of course we were kids, it sounds stupid now," he adds hastily.

"You knew him," I hiss.

"I did," he says, half sitting on the table.

"And you never once told me you did!" I say, my voice growing by every word I uttered.

"I couldn't, you looked so miserable the past few months...," he trails off..

"Maybe if you told me, I wouldn't have been so miserable!" I shout.