6. Lancy

My phone screen lit up. The notification read - Taking the car home or do you want a ride from the café?

Sent 1 hour ago

"Shit, hope she has gone home already," I murmured.

I was about to reply when she called.

"Hey Scar! I'm sorry I cannot pick you up. I saw Arlett on my way and we decided to do some homework and then watch a movie at our place. I hope you don't mind." Isabelle says.

Arlett had already left the café early saying she had work to do which also means that I was left with Liam.

"Sure Izzy. I don't mind at all. Have a good time you two!" I say

"We will!" I hear Arlett shout through the phone.

I laugh and hang up. They remind me of me and Abigail.

"Scarlette, it's getting pretty late. C'mon I'll drive you home." Liam comes up behind me and says.

I don't want to go home.

"No thanks, Liam. I want to go for a walk"

"Very well then," he says. "Let's go"

I sigh.

"I want to go for a walk ALONE." I say, stressing the 'alone'

"But Scarlette it's dark and-"

"And what Liam. You think you can do anything with a broken arm and a plastic leg?" I shout. Why can't he just let me be. Why does he make me say things I don't want to say but have to because he is persistent?

He looks taken aback by my sudden outrage but he knows better than to approach an erupting volcano.

"Alright. Let me know when you reach home."

"Hmm" I say, biting my cheeks to hold my tongue.

He nods and walks away. I can taste the blood in my mouth.

I walk into the café once more to say goodbye to Mrs. Gazelle, pick my bag up from the table we sat at and start walking away from the café. My pace is fast. I need to get away from here. The café is the only place that makes me feel warm. And I cannot surrender myself to this home-like feeling.

I don't realize when I come to the park. I find an empty park bench and sit on it. Today was a tiring day. Arlett's resemblance to Abigail, Mrs. Gazelle trying to blink away the tears in her eyes, Ginger, Liam and his..."

I sigh. I've hurt him a lot. My Mind floods with memories of the accidents and then everything I told Liam today. I sigh again. I stare at the lamp above me.

My heart feels cold all of a sudden. There are icicles, sharp...very sharp, all around my heart. Their fingers pointing at my weak, fragile heart, threatening to pierce me. I can't move, I can't speak. If I do so I'll get hurt. If I don't, others approaching me will get hurt by them. I need to do something because I'm dangerous and they don't know that.

"You are sighing a lot today," I hear a familiar voice disrupting my thoughts. Unlike his eyes, his voice doesn't sound empty.

He sits beside me.

"Lancelot," I half-whisper.

"Fascinating," he says and takes a seat beside me.

"What is?" I ask curiously.

"Your question of today has been over already," he says.

"Then why have you come to see me today? Aren't you supposed to come tomorrow?" I scowl.

He laughs. "I'm kidding."

"Ok." I say. "So what is fascinating?"

He is looking at the pavement.

"The fact that you remember me," he says. "After everything that happened today" he adds and turns to face me.

When I don't say anything he adds, "I mean there is nothing captivating about me. Is there, milady?"

Your eyes, I think.

"Well you are a walking black and white film from the 60's. Nothing captivating about that I suppose." I say sarcastically while smiling at this conversation.

A man with a dog passes us by. Such an adorable husky, I think while smiling at it. Then I stopped smiling all of a sudden. The dog had just jumped beside me, where Lancelot was sitting.

"Oh" he says, looking normal. My eyes widened in surprise.

It was as if Lancelot was invisible to others. The dog went away and I moved my hand to touch him. My hand slid right through his skin. I got up scared.

"You're not a..." I blink hard. "So you are..."

I pause. I don't know what to say about this. That he is intangible?

"Oh c'mon Scarlette. I'm not a ghost."

I look in his eyes. Empty and grey. I swear to god if Lancelot Fletcher did not have eyes like these, I would have never believed him.

"I'm dreaming," I say.

"No. You are not." Lancelot says.

I bring my hand to my arm when he says, "How many times are you going to pinch yourself?"

I stop. "You're right."

I look up to the sky. I don't feel like sitting on the bench. I move towards the grass and flop down. Then I lie on it and stare at the night sky. Lancelot does the same. I point out the constellations to him. First the Great Bear, then the Orion.

"It's a pity we can't see Leo." I say.

He hums. Even after this strange revelation, I am not scared of him. In fact I like being around him.

"Can I call you Lancy?" I ask.

"Can I call you Latte?" he asks.

"Why Latte? People call me Carla or Scar or Lettie or..." I think for more and add, "Scary"

"I know. Scary is the best sobriquet you have got," he laughs.

"Stop" I say, all the same laughing with him

"Latte because Scar-latte" he says seriously.

"That's lame you know," I say, trying to sound solemn.

"Well you are Scarlette with an 'e' at the end aren't you?" he says, emphasizing on the 'e' when he said Scarlette

"I am!" I say. "But the 'e' is silent so it's 'let'. Not 'let-eh'," I say decidedly.

"Ah! I see," he says.

"So can I call you Lancy?" I ask, steering the conversation back.

"Can I call you Latte?" he asks with a grin.

This guy is impossible.

"Argh Fine!" I say, obviously frustrated.

"Fine." he gives out a chortle. We stay silent.

I can hear the crickets in the distance, telling their woes to the moon. And the lamp flickering under the influence of the moon's brightness. The moon, apparently dominating its presence.

"Why can't they see you?" I ask, pointing to the silhouettes of people leaving the park. "Why can I?"

"Because I'm here for you not them," he breathes.