Nine

She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes

And she can ruin your faith with her casual lies

And she only reveals what she wants you to see

She hides like a child but she's always a woman to me

- Billy Joel, She's Always a Woman

Duchess woke with a pounding headache. She had joined the boys at night for the past couple of days, testing her liquid courage, learning that consuming large amounts of vodka and beer was not exactly comparable to a few glasses of champagne or quiet sips of her father's brandy. It had been four days and three nights since they arrived in Melbourne. Duchess was trying not to give herself any panic over her parents arrival. She only assumed that they could be anywhere in Australia at this point, so who knew just how long it would take for them to get there. She didn't blame Leonard for not specifying how long it would take, as she was sure he wasn't expecting to get a phone call from Duchess.

After Duchess got dressed she made her way downstairs to find Edna setting her breakfast down on the counter. Over the past days, Duchess grew quite fond of her company, and came to learn all about her. How her husband was away on business at this time, and how thankful she was that he had a bum knee so he wouldn't have to go back to war. Duchess was amused by this as by judging from the pictures in the house of Edna's husband, he would have been too old regardless of any unreliable knee.

"You know you ought to bring one of those Marines here for dinner tonight." She said as they ate together. Duchess nodded as she chewed.

"I can do that." She nodded. "I just didn't want to put you out anymore than I already have." Duchess added to which Edna waved her hand at dismissively.

"oh stop it." Edna added, getting up to clear the plates.

And so Duchess was on her way to the stadium to see what the men were doing. She would ask Hoosier, if he didn't have plans, to have dinner at Edna's. Leckie was busy with his new girlfriend as was Sid. She imagined Chuckler and Runner had dates as well. She thought to ask John, but he had been in a odd mood ever since he got his congressional medal of honor.

But when she arrived at the stadium it was Andrew that she bumped into, for the first time since their meeting on Guadalcanal. And literally, she bumped into him.

"Sorry Miss" Andrew's gentle but firm voice spoke as he grabbed Duchess by the arm to steady her. "Duchess! I didn't even recognize you." He added quite sheepishly once he realized it was her he had just bumped into. Duchess' cheeks pinkened at his touch and underneath his dreamy gaze.

"Go figure. You recognized me on the island but not in a dress." She joked lightly. Andrew laughed, the sound of it warm and soft like a bed of cotton candy.

"I heard your parents are on their way to get you." His eyes were sparkling, Duchess was nearly struck dumb just by the sight of them. Which didn't bother Andrew as he was focusing on Duchess' own trance inducing eyes that were glued to him.

"Yes, it seems my luck hasn't run out just yet." Duchess finally answered him with a wide pearly smile on her face. Andrew swooned at the sight of the dimples in her face created by the smile.

"It's good to see you smile. You have such a beautiful smile." He added without pausing and only blushed after he realized how forward he was. Duchess blushed even more, but her flush cheeks only made her more attractive to Andrew.

"Do you-" She began speaking before she could stop herself. A group of men came bustling around them, a few bumped into Duchess causing her to stumble. Andrew caught her arm, his grip gentle but firm enough to quicken Duchess' heartbeat.