Ten

And the color in my eyes has gone back into the sea
- Charles Bukowski

Of course once the family of three -plus Leonard- were reunited and settled themselves, H company descended the steps and stood awkwardly at the bottom. Runner was holding Duchess shoes to his chest. Duchess turned around and saw them standing there and in that light, she admitted they looked like children who had lost their pet to new owners.

Duchess grabbed her father's hand and led him over to the men. Frances followed, drying her eyes with a handkerchief. When they reached the men, Hoosier reached his hand out and thumbed away a tear on Duchess' face. A gesture that she would otherwise be completely comfortable with, made her blush due to her father's presence.

"Mom, Dad. These are the guys who found me stranded." She began and introduced them all to her parents. Jack extended his hand to each of them, with his other arm wrapped firmly around Duchess.

"We know we don't look like much, but we clean up nicer, I promise." Chuckler joked, Frances laughed politely and Jack smiled.

"I can't thank you men enough. Duchess is worth every ounce of happiness in my body. I- well words can't do it justice just how appreciative and thankful I am for you all." Jack forced himself to choke back his tears.

"We truly are forever indebted to you." Frances spoke and then proceeded to kiss everyone of them on the cheek firmly.

"Duch, your shoes." Runner said quietly and slowly held them out for her. Duchess smiled at him and stroked the back of his neck quickly before taking her shoes back, mouthing 'thank you'.

"We consider ourselves just lucky to have met Duchess." Sid responded to Jack and Frances.

Duchess once again blushed and was forced to drop her gaze from his eyes. She was hoping her father wouldn't care how openly affectionate the men had become with her.

"The guys are shipping out again soon, Dad. We can stay to see them off right?" She looked up at Jack, his hard jaw jutting out.

"Of course, Duchess. Of course." He responded and rather uncharacteristically kissed the top of her head. "You'll excuse me, gentleman." Jack began and then turned to Frances, "Darling, I'll go square things away with Leonard." He told her and then walked away.

"We see where Duchess gets her good looks, Mrs. Kingsley." Leckie spoke, his mood slightly changed for the time being. Frances, who was an expert at small talk and male attention, laughed lightly and threw her arm around Duchess.

"Oh even in my best days of youth, I never looked as beautiful as my darling Kitty Cat." Frances used her pet name for Duchess, it nearly made her wince. She looked at Hoosier who was grinning ear to ear at the sound of the ridiculous nickname.

"Dutch!" John's voice called from across the field.

He was walking towards her, dressed in his envelope cap and Eisenhower jacket, the blue of his medal peeking out from underneath it. Across his pack he slung his sack of belongings. Duchess' violet eyes swelled at the sight of it, she thought she had more time with him. Too many emotions were running through her right now. She had just been reunited with her family but now she would have to say goodbye to the men she had grown extremely fond of, who she considered good friends, and even family too at this point. And John would be the first she would be forced to say goodbye to. It provided her only a little comfort to know that at least he was going back to the states, and would be safe from the war for awhile.

"Excuse me." Duchess said to her mother and H company, before shuffling slightly to greet John in the field. "Going already?" Duchess half whined with a frown. John smacked her lightly on her cheek.