Thirteen

There are all types of love in this world, but never the same love twice

-F. Scotts Fitzgerald, The Sensible Thing

Duchess found herself incessantly smoothing out her uniform and fixing her hair as she walked towards H Company's tent. It had been so long since she had seen them, her heart was pounding in her chest with nerves. Suddenly she began to wonder if she had built up her relationship with them too much in her head. And quickly she spiraled into fearing that they wouldn't even care to see her again. The morning air on the island was turning sticky with each step she took. She felt like she was swallowing giant spoonfulls of molasses, and would eventually stick in her place, unable to move any further. She flexed her right hand and a few knuckles cracked. She approached the wooden porch of the tent and leaned on the open door frame, catching her breath quickly before she spoke to the unsuspecting group.

"excuse me? I seem to be a little lost." She said, nearly stuttering with nerves. The boys all jerked their heads up at her. She met Runner's eyes first. They widened and sparkled immediately at the sight of her.

"HOLY SHIT" Chuckler exclaimed standing up. The rest of them rose too, yelling exclamations of excitement.

"Duchess! I can't believe it!" Sid nearly yelled, his voice high in pitch.

Leckie was standing there dumbfounded with his ever present furrowed brow etched on his forehead. Hoosier pushed them all out of the way and met Duchess' eyes quickly before pulling her into his chest for a hug. He didn't say anything, except for a mumbled sentiment that Duchess couldn't quite make out. Her ear was firmly pressed against his chest, and she heard his quickened heart beat. His tight grip around her made her eyes sting with tears. And even after he had let her go long enough to let the other guys hug her, he stood with his arm around her, unwilling to let her get an inch away from him.

"You must be the craziest dame I've ever met in my life." Leckie said, still in disbelief of her return.

"But oh boy what an outfit you got there." Chuckler added, tugging at her uniform.

Duchess laughed and blushed, turning her head towards Hoosier's hand that hung around her shoulder. She noticed the watch on his wrist and grabbed it to check the time. She was going to be late getting back to the nurse's station if she didn't hurry.

"Listen, I have to get back. But I'll come back later. Okay?" She soothed them. Duchess turned back into Hoosier and kissed him on the corner of his lips, brushing the back of his neck with her thumb slightly. When she parted from him, she had to admit he looked at her deeper than he ever had before and for a moment she was surprised by the lust in his eyes. But she soon pulled herself away from him and left the tent, reluctantly.

When she returned to the nurse's station Linda looked at her with raised eyebrows and pointed to her watch, noting Duchess had cut it close with being on time. She exhaled and nodded in agreeance and fell in line with the rest of the girls. Irene, who stood on Duchess' left side, leaned over to whisper in her ear.

"You should be thankful they don't wear lipstick." She whispered.

Lt. Walters began to speak directly afterwards so Duchess could not respond to Irene's comment. And admittedly it took her a while to realize that Irene must have been able to tell Duchess had been kissing someone. How she knew, Duchess didn't know. She quickly smoothed out her hair and uniform again to make sure Lt. Walters wouldn't pick up on whatever clue she had left. Lt. Walters gave them their orders, which was to organize the medical supplies and prepare to open the tent to any men who needed assistance.

"If you're gonna keep sneaking off to see your boyfriends, I'm going to need you to come back on time. I'm not picking up your slack." Sherry remarked from across the room.