chapter 19

A STUDY OF SEA SPIRITS

Dedication

I dedicate this study to my parents, Isleen and Jona Miller.

I know you are with me every day. I see you in everything.

Mom, I see you in leather-bound journals and overstuffed bookbags; I see you in rounded spectacles and wild, unbridled smiles; I see you in bright-red swimsuits and short, frizzy hair; I see you in old, ancient books with decaying pages smelling of vanilla. I see your curiosity when I look in the mirror.

Dad, I see you in sturdy ships that beat against the tides; I see you in the tall, proud white-oak tree that sits atop Silver Hill and silently and watches over the town; I see you in cracked coffee mugs and worn-out fishing boots. I see your quiet kindness every time I look at Jack.

I see you two together, in the colorful spinnakers that fly high in the air on windy days; in the initials carved into Pemaquid caves with hearts around them; and in the two heart-rocks I found that were connected at the base. I see you both in this study.

I wonder what you two would think if you read this. I think you'd be proud of me. I think you'd love Evyana just as much as I do.

I miss you both almost as much as I love you.

One day, I will find out what happened to you. I promise that with my whole heart.

But for now, I'm going to turn this study in to my teacher. And tonight, I'm going to dance.

☀︎

(we've officially passed 20,000 words! yay!)