Untitled Part 6

"Mr. Milkovich. Mr. Milkovich, we need your decision."

Mickey didn't realize it, but at some point he had dropped to his knees. His eyes were wet, what the hell were those? Were those tears? "Milkovich men don't cry. You're a man, not a pussy." Terry had always said. How could he choose? His husband or his babies, it wasn't fair. If he chose Ian, then his husband would be pissed that he didn't choose the babies, and if he chose the babies, well... he didn't want to think about raising them alone, without Ian. He couldn't imagine it, refused to imagine it. He couldn't choose.

"Mr. Milkovich, I don't mean to rush you, but time is of the essence." the doctor said.

"Hey! Back off him." Carl said. "You're forcing him to make an impossible decision. Give him some fucking time why don't you." The doctor backed off.

"I i i can't." Mickey said. "I can't do it."

"It's okay, Mickey. I can do it if it makes it easier for you." Lip told him gently.

Mickey shook his head. "Ian - Ian would want me to save the babies."

"I think he would, too." Lip said. "But its your decision. And nobody will think any differently of you regardless of what you do."

"I cant live without him."

"You won't." Debbie said, speaking up for the first time. "Ian will always be apart of you. Apart of those babies." Franny reached out and put her small hand on Mickey's cheek. "I wuv you Unca Mickey."

Mickey smiled through his tears and kissed her forehead. Then he walked over the doctor. "If you can't save them both, save... save the babies."

"Are you sure? You can't change your mind."

Mickey nodded. "I'm sure. Its what my husband would want."

The doctor nodded and went into the OR.

Mickey went outside and let out a loud scream. After everything they had been through, this was how it was going to end? Was the world really going to be so cruel as to take his husband away, after all this?

Flashback

"either - either you come out or Im done." Ian said. "Im tired of being the secret mistress. Either you want to be with me or you don't."
"Ian, you cant mean that."

"Im sorry Mickey." Ian turned to leave.

With a deep breath, Mickey sighed. He stood up and went up front, taking a glass of beer. "I just want to tell you all that... im gay."

"WHAT?" Terry had shouted.

"Im fucking gay." Mickey repeated.

end flashback

"Dont do this to me, Ian. Don't you fucking die on me, you selfish asshole!" Mickey shouted to the air. "Dont do it. I need you. MJ, Nova, we need you. I - i cant do this on my own. I can't live without you." He dropped to his knees again. "Dont make me live without you. I cant. I wont. We've been through so much already - you are the reason I came out, Ive always felt free with you. Dont leave me." More tears came from his eyes and he furiously wiped them away with the back of his hand. "Fuck you! Fuck you asshole, fuck you for bringing us together and fuck you for ripping us apart! Fuck you for making me make this decision. Fuck you for making me raise these babies without him. FUCK YOU!" he shouted to the air. More tears. "Fuuuuck." he punched a tree, his knuckles becoming raw and bloody but he didn't care. He was too angry to care.

"Mickey?" Lip said from behind him.

Mickey furiously wiped away more tears. Can't cry, crying is for sissies, he thought.

"Umm.. the doctor wanted me to come get you. He said you can see the babies."

Mickey ran his hands through his hair and sighed heavily. Then he turned and followed his brother in law.

"The babies are doing great." the doctor told him.

Thats great, but my husband isn't, Mickey wanted to say.

"Passed every test."

Shut the fuck up already, Mickey thought. Your talking is annoying and I want nothing more than to strangle you with a pillow. I just want my fucking husband.
They came to a stop outside a room.

"Mick. Mickey." came Ian's voice. He was holding two blankets, one blue, one pink. One baby boy with raven hair, like Mickey's. One baby girl with bright red hair, freckles, and those dimples that Mickey loved so much. But the most beautiful sight was the red head on the bed, holding both blankets.

Mickey rushed in and hugged him, never wanting to let him go.

"Mick. Mick, I can't breathe." Ian rasped out.

"Sorry. I - I thought I lost you." Mickey said. "Don't you fucking do that to me again! Don't you ever fucking make me make that kind of decision again."
The bundle of pink blankets let out a whine and Ian handed her to Mickey. "Nova Jayne."

Mickey smiled down at the baby girl in his arms, her apple green eyes identical to Ians. "Nova Jayne. I'm your daddy."