Chapter 2

Connor likes others to think that he was a man with an ambition. Although, that wasn't really the case. He liked the simple life and the simple things for he enjoyed them. When his father made him go to medical school, he took to it for the case of pleasing his parents.

"Remember, Connor. You can only be happy when you're above everyone else."  Was what his father used to say to him. Ah, yes. His father was quite a sturdy man, hard as a rock. And maybe thought others were like him as well.

Connor cared little for hierarchy but of course, to live comfortably, you need to at least be in the middle. Or maybe just away from society at all. Connor thought.

Dr. Connor Serville was a man in his early thirties with hair similar to his mother's but eyes that of his father's, which was a greenish shade of blue. He was the only son of the Servilles and he had yet to marry for nobody had caught his eye, or rather, he hadn't yet look at or had been with other ladies since fifteen.

He was now a couple of meters away from his house. Connor sighed. He did not want to be living in this house. Not until his father ceased to breathe. Although it was a good thing that he's on a ship right now and had yet to return. At least. Connor thought.

Connor twisted the key and opened the door. There were voices coming from the living room, he recognized them all too well. "Bobby, don't eat with your mouth full." Lisa scolded. Connor smiled, it was nice to hear her voice again after some time.

"Connor, you're back." Connor approached her mother and kissed her cheek. "Hi, Mr. Connor." Bobby smiled and Lisa also gave a simple greeting.

"Why don't you take a seat, darling. We were just having small talk." Mrs. Winona patted on the seat next to her. "I'll go wear something more comfortable first." 

After dressing down, Connor sat next to his mother. Cherry set up a plate and fork for him as well as a cup of tea. "So how was that land? Did you like it?" His mother started, Bobby gobbled down his second slice for he didn't want to interrupt the adults talk, and Lisa took a bite of an apple slice, although she preferred the dough over the fruit.

"Well, it was alright. I think the breeze was cool in the area." "Quite breezy indeed. Looks like I made the right choice." Lisa wasn't sure if she should interrupt for she thought the topic was more private for them to hear. Connor turned to Lisa, "Lisa, how are you? I think it's been a while since we last seen each other." 

"I'm pretty good. Taking care of my brother and working." Lisa replied and followed a tight-lipped smile. "That's good to hear." "Right, your mother is coming home soon, is she not?"

Lisa nodded and was about to reply however her Bobby replied instead. "Yes, she is. She's comin' home this week." Bobby beamed.

Connor grinned at the child and sipped on his tea. It's a little cold. He thought and resisted the urge not to give a sour expression. That would be rude. "Hopefully our mother gets home early." Connor set the cup down.

Not knowing what to say anymore, Lisa decided that it was time to go. "Well, we better get going now, Mrs. Winona." "Oh, yes. I suppose." Lisa turned to Connor and bid farewell. "Mr. Connor should rest as well, you've just got back." 

Connor got up and smiled. "I'll walk both of you home." "Yes, you should." Mrs. Winona agreed. It was only natural and they were good friends after all. Cherry wrapped the remaining pie and gave it to Lisa. "Thanks, Cherry."

"See you again."

"Yes, see you." Cherry smiled and Lisa returned.

"Bye, Lisa. Bye Bobby." Mrs. Winona stood by the doorway and waved them. Bobby and Lisa waved as well before they turned around.

Once Mrs. Winona saw them off, she went inside and sat on the wooden couch. "Connor, that fool." she muttered in impatience. Just when will that child marry already? Mrs. Winona thought. She was already as old as a turtle and God knew when she'll see him off married and with kids. "Time is limited indeed."

Meanwhile, Connor smiled at Lisa's thought. "Yeah, I think you're right." Lisa grinned and glanced at sea that was miles away. Yet from here, the sea still looked blue as ever. The sky wasn't the same. Clouds scattered around here and there. Still, the sun shone the fields beautifully.

"You like the mysteries of this world." Lisa looked back at him and he added, "You could be a philosopher." Although she gave a bleak smile, "If society approved of learned women."

They do. But only if the lady came from a wealthy family. But Lisa... Connor shook the thought. "So for now, I'm known as Lisa the dreamer." And indeed she was.

"And ye know, I still think mermaids exist." Mermaids. Whether they were real or not, Connor sure hoped they were. But of course, he couldn't believe what he had never seen.

An upper body that resembled a human, and its lower half that of a fish. If they were indeed real, what would its anatomy look like? Connor had a dazed look.

Lisa noticed and looked at her steps. The way the ground left faint footsteps that linger for a while before the wind would blow them away or maybe it would get covered by something else. And maybe something would be curious and follow them home. Who knows? Lisa hummed at the thought.

Lisa liked to believe in the existence of the supernatural. Magic. It gets her excited to know that somewhere-- could be here-- that there exists a creature similar yet not so similar to a human. Yet they could still be a person.

She liked that idea.

"Lisa, was there ever a time you'd rather leave this place?" Connor muttered with seriousness. Lisa narrowed her eyes and hummed again. "If that meant to live a better life. Then," Connor looked at her as she continued, "I would love that."

Connor hummed and smiled. Yeah, she would. 

"I would like to live in a place where I can be free." Bobby broke the distance of the two and they smiled down at him. "Free to do anythin' and everything I want and not to have to work!" Lisa nodded and responded, " I would like that too."

If only living was that easy. Connor thought. He watched the child who was now several steps away from them. But I guess the youth already knew that, and yet they still hope. "Then, you'd need the help of good people by your side." Connor muttered, more to himself than to them. Lisa heard it and thought maybe he was right.

But maybe we'd succeed on our own. She thought. Although, there was nothing wrong with asking for a little bit of help as well.

Bobby stopped walking as soon as he was in front of their house. He looked behind him and saw his sister and Mr. Connor. They seemed like friends. But other people might think of them as having something more. He hoped they didn't. It felt weird to him.

"We're here." Bobby said and looked at Connor, who look at Lisa, and Lisa to her brother. "Well, the pie's delicious. We'd surely enjoy it very much." Lisa smiled. "Then, I'd be sure to let my mother know."

Bobby narrowed his eyes and diverted his attention to the side. Another child was waving at him. It was Russell. A messy dark curly hair with blue eyes and with darker skin. Russell was dressed in plain but dirty clothes, and areas of his pants were ripped, especially on the knees and ankles. Bobby waved back and quickly ran to him and suggested they play.

"Don't be off too late, Bobby!" Lisa shouted and waved. "Okay!"

"Well, it was nice having you visit." "Well, your mother does love visitors." Connor chuckled, "Yeah, well."

Connor cleared his throat and ran his fingers through his hair. "I'll see you again." He bid a goodbye and Lisa did as well. "Yes. See you again, Mr. Connor."

Lisa smiled and waved as she watched his back and walk away.