Chapter 5

Charles followed the maid, he kept a distance as to not be noticed. A young lady, with dark hair and eyes, ushered to her. Are they friends? Charles thought. No, she must be her daughter.

They eventually enter a shabby, rundown house. There was no gate, no garden either, just some weeds, wild plants and flowers here and there. Their windows were open and he could see from there what they were doing. There was a child no older than 7 he presumed.

He waited a bit until Charles saw the maid's child dragging her by the hand.

"Mrs. Winona has these flowers called chryses and--" Bobby stopped when he saw the unfamiliar man in front of their house. Maine stopped as well and her eyes widened in surprise.

Charles gave them a smile. "Young Master Connery. My, uh. What brings you here sir?" Maine stuttered as she bowed respectfully. Bobby followed his mother and figured the unknown man was who his mother worked for. Maine could hear her heart pounding in her ears. The ring.

Maine hoped Chris did not come here for that. She hoped that he hadn't noticed the ring missing. "Raise your head, it's your off today."

"Yes sir." Maine raised her head and gripped her skirt. 

Maine needed that ring. She had been stealing jewelry from her masters to get some extra cash. The salary was just too little for her family. It wouldn't have been little if her husband was still alive.

Please, Maine thought, just his once you turn a blind eye. Charles took a deep breath and gazed at the mother and son. Her son was as nervous as she was.

Apart from his mother, Charles also had the habit of wreaking havoc among the servants in their house. They had the same attitude and same looks. Like mother like son.

But then again, Charles didn't particularly needed the ring.

"Mother? What's going on? Who's this man?" Lisa stepped out of the house, confused and worried. Maine cleared her throat and looked at her. "Lisa, this is the son of the Connery's." Maine glanced at the young man, "Sir Charles Connery."

Charles bowed slightly and smiled, "Hello, there. Pleased to meet you."

From her mother's face, Lisa could tell she was worried-- nervous, actually. Lisa bit her lip and gave a curt smile and a nod. "Pleased, to meet you as well, Mr. Connery." 

The ring. A faint voice in Lisa's mind echoed. If the man knew Maine had stolen it, she would be beaten. "What is a young master like you, doing in the southwestern side of Couerhort?" Lisa asked politely as she stepped forward, ever so slowly to her mother's side.

Charles hummed and glanced at Maine whose eyes were staring on the ground. Charles then looked at Lisa. "Well, I just wanted to explore and finally reached in this side of the city." Lisa eyed him cautiously.

"Also, it seems a storm is coming." He pointed at the cumulonimbus clouds approaching. "I would be glad to take shelter in my maid's home if you would allow it?" Charles smiled and glanced at Maine and then back at Lisa. "Y...Yes, of course. Sir Connery, please come inside." Maine responded, ushering her two children inside.

Once they were, Charles whispered in Maine's ear before he took a step inside. "Don't sell it."  Maine froze and nervously nodded. "Yes, of course."

Indeed, a storm came. It was quite strong, the wind was violent as well. Mrs. Winona was worried if her husband was alright. Storms worried her especially when her husband was at sea. "Cherry, did you cover the windows?"