Tsuyu

Darkness shrouds my memories like a blanket. I believe there was a time where I was happy, actually happy. I don't remember much though, only snippets of who I used to be.

It was a few days after my baby sister was born, I was seven years old at the time. Me and my younger siblings were all playing in the garden while mother looked after the newborn. Father was at work and didn't come home until late.

I loved them and they loved me.

We were happy.

But happiness never lasts long does it?

Mother had tucked us into bed and kissed us on the forehead before turning off the light. The soft click of the door and the retreating footsteps indicated that she had left.

Father was home late that night, at least thats what I tell myself. Deep down I know that he was taken first.

It happened late at night. The capture. That's what I like to call it.

People broke into our house, grabbed my siblings and drugged them. I wanted to help them, but fear encased my entire being and I couldn't move.

One of the men approached me. He was holding something. Everything went black after that.

A cell is what greeted me when I awoke, as well as a rancid smell that assaulted my nose. It was dark. Always dark.

Often, I would see a rat scurry across the floor and I was jealous. Jealous of their freedom.

Sometimes, when the guard came and gave me my food, if you could even call it that, I would be able to see the cell which held my parents.

There is one thing I never understood. Why was I the only one to be seperated? It didn't make sense. At some point I stopped seeing them. I guessed that they had been moved.

Years past in that hell hole and my hate for the villains grew with every passing day. I just wanted to be with my family.

There was one thing that wasn't completely horrible. I was given an education.

"Can't have stupid subjects can we?" They would say. I wonder if I was the only one who was taught.

The teaching style was... unique.

They would give me a text book, told me to read and once I was done I would be asked questions.

The reward was a walk around the halls. The time I had to walk around was dependent on how many I got questions I got right and how long it took to finish reading.

Getting them wrong, or taking too long resulted in a beating.

I learnt quickly to absorb everything in a short amount of time. This skill I had acquired was the reason I survived for so long. Long enough to get out.

Everytime I was allowed to walk  around I was escorted by two or three guards. This didn't stop my plans though.

I made a mental map of the establishment. Eventually I found what cell my family were in. I never dared to get close.

The guards all had a routine, and I memorised every single one. With my map and guard schedule I was able to make my escape.

My plan was solid. Find my family and get out. I believed that there was no way it could go wrong...

...It did.

I wasn't quick enough, skilled enough. And I was found, but, somehow I beat him. I didn't stop beating him until I was sure that he would never get up again.