Chapter Eleven: I had to cancel my night out with the girls just to pick you up

Loads of assignments, missions, and trainings the Jujutsu students have done were incomparable in the second and third semesters. Not only did autumn leaves fall, but also the grades of some students in some subjects. In the winter, it snowed earlier than anticipated, and it wasn't ending very soon.

On a Friday night, most students would go to karaoke rooms with their friends, watch the hottest movie of the month, visit the gym to make use of the membership fee, or just stay at home and cry about the failed marks on their test papers. Utahime did neither of those.

Her fingers fidget one another under the winter gloves she had on. Stroking, rubbing, and pinching the wool material for warmth, she wasn't cold from the winter air. She was cold from nervousness followed by uncontrolled overthinking. The train ride to her grandmother's hometown made her restless, even though it's only been three hours since she's left Tokyo.

She hasn't informed her grandmother about her plan on visiting over the weekend that she could already hear the endless sermon she will receive from her loving Baba. To lower her heart rate, which was almost on its limit, she internally listed some of the achievements she's made, be it academic, jujutsu-related, or personal, in the span of almost four years being in Tokyo.

'Okay, think, Utahime. Think. Four years is a lot, and a lot has happened. Let's see,' he rummaged her brain for the things she's done that made the kid inside her proud.

'You learned how to fly a kite. Kudos to you on that! Gojo was a great help. He laughed half of the time, but he did teach me how to do it properly.'

Gojo.

'The beach! How can a place be so captivating? The pictures I've downloaded looked nothing like the beach Gojo and I have been to.'

Gojo.

A moment of silence.

'Argh! Why do I keep thinking of Gojo, instead?' Her fingers aggressively brushed her loose hair, leaning deeper on the train's chair. Frustration rose to her whole system. All those four years in Jujutsu High, and she suddenly can't remember the achievements she's had in her earlier years of stay in Tokyo.

'Grade 2 sorcerer. This is what I am most proud of, right now. September's got to be the best month of 2005,' a soft giggle escaped her lips. Finally, something worth thinking about. As much as it sounded unreal, it also felt fulfilling every time she mentions her current Grade to herself.

'But it was also the same month when that bastard guilt-tripped me into singing at a Cultural Festival in Nara!' Her nostrils flared, and fists clenched as she felt a flicker of annoyance grow in her.

******

"Sensei, it's not that I'm being skeptical, but, are you sure you didn't mention another sorcerer's name?" Utahime forced out a laugh, one eyebrow raised, her mouth partly open. Her question hung in the air for a while as her teacher had his eyes squinted on her.