Commander (Part VI)

Year 20 - Commander
Planet Earth

° ° ° °

"So you six lead the Chaos Army?" Zeus asked judgmentally.

Percy had the generals from the A, Δ, Θ, and N Divisions as well as one major from the Ω Division standing with him. All showed their face except Percy who had a simple gold circlet adorning his head.

The circlet was an enchanted device to conceal his identity and mind from all, even the gods. While the army could see and hear him as they knew him to be, everyone else would see a blur of a face and hear an indistinguishable deeper voice. Even still, those who could not see his face would subconsciously understand the facial expressions made or feel the intensity of his eyes. So while they couldn't make out what his eyes looked like, they would be able to describe the feeling if Percy were to glare at them. Plus, his hair was cut short and styled differently, so there was no worry about being identified that way. Chaos also thought the gold circlet would sufficiently mark him as the Commander. Apparently, the pure white cloak trimmed with gold over his pitch-black armor with golden armbands wasn't enough.

Every soldier's armor was the same unless they made alterations themselves. On top of that, the generals donned deep purple cloaks and the majors donned dark blue cloaks. The colonels wore rich red short capes, the captains wore forest green short capes, and the lieutenants wore amber-orange short capes. Privates only wore the standard-issued black armor. Additionally, healers had golden armbands on their armor with a golden trim on a cape or cloak if they had one. Cloaks, capes, and armor were all enchanted to remain cool, even under direct sun for hours on end, unless insulation was needed for a colder environment.

"I am Commander Ichor," Percy introduced himself. "These are some of my generals and one of my majors. This does not represent even a quarter of the full force we have, but it will be enough for us to assess how much of a threat you face."

"You underestimate your enemy, Commander," Athena admonished.

"You underestimate your allies, Lady Athena," Percy retorted.

The generals could tell Percy was not a fan of the Olympians, but he too was being diplomatic. A little forced but diplomatic nonetheless. Yet tension in the air did not cease until Hermes spoke.

"I'm told my son, Travis Stoll, joined your army. Do you know him? Is he with you?"

"Yes, Lord Hermes," Andrew answered. "He is my second in command. He will join us at the camp, Camp Half-Blood I believe, once Commander Ichor summons the portal."

"Will you let me see him?" Hermes was almost pleading with them. Trying to look in the Commander's eyes, which none could distinguish. His facial features were distorted to represent a blur more than a face.

"That decision, Lord Hermes, is not entirely up to me," Andrew answered. "But if you're allowed to visit the camp, I will allow Major Stoll some time off."

Now Hermes sent his pleading looks to Zeus. If it weren't for the glares of the other Olympians—except for Hera, obviously—he would've said no. But because he really didn't like the way even Ares was questioning his rationale, he agreed. Why Ares cared, he had no idea, but Zeus didn't like when the god of war wasn't on his side.

"If I may ask, Commander," Poseidon interjected, "can you tell us if there are any other soldiers from Earth?"

Percy faced the god he once considered a father. With an even tone and forced politeness, he said, "The Chaos Army gets very few recruits from Earth. The most notable being Major Stoll."