Commander (Part XVIII)

Year 20 - Commander
Planet Earth

° ° ° °

Sam rode the elevator of the apartment Percy had pointed out. Percy couldn't deliver his letters in person, so he tasked the job to Sam. And Sam was very honored that he was trusted to meet his mentor's family. He knew Percy could've asked Travis or Andrew or Mason or literally any of his close friends. Yet it was Sam who Percy picked to hand-deliver his personal letters to his family.

At the door, Sam gave two loud knocks and stepped back. He heard a faint "One second!" from the other side. The door swung open to reveal a kind woman who wore her gray strands of hair with pride and offered the same genuine smile that Percy always gave—when he gave one, that is.

"Mrs. Jackson-Blofis?" Sam asked just to be sure he had the right person, though, anyone who knew Percy could immediately tell it was his mother.

"Yes, that's me," she confirmed. "Can I help you?"

"I have letters for your family," he explained as he handed over the two sealed envelopes.

Sally took a second to read the outside of each envelope. "Who are these from?"

Although she asked, it was clear she had her suspicions. A mother always knows.

"I'm not at liberty to say, ma'am. But I know that whoever sent it wished very much they could do it in person. Unfortunately, it would put all of you in danger if they did."

The vague answer confirmed her supposition, and a tear dropped down her face. But a smile also graced her lips.

In a shaky voice, Sally thanked Sam. "Tell whoever sent this that... that I understand, but the danger would be worth it to see them one last time. To say goodbye at the very least."

More tears streamed heavier out of her loving eyes, yet they only made her eyes sparkle in the light, adding to her natural beauty.

Sam wasn't sure what to tell her. He couldn't make promises that Percy would visit. But he figured the least he could do was pass along a message.

"I'll let them know. Take care, Mrs. Jackson-Blofis."

"You too dear." Then in a quieter voice, "Look after him, will you? Tell him we love him. Tell him I love him."

She seemed more fragile now. On the verge of breaking down. Sam tried his best to reassure her.

"I swear I will. But he knows it already. Always has. And he misses you too. Loves you more than anything. I'm sure of it."

That brought a tender smile to her face again. And even though Sam was supposed to be consoling her, Sally was the one to comfort him with her kindness. Another thing her son had in common with her.

"Thank you," she whispered softly as she closed the door.

It took Sam a minute to move again. For a while, the soldier simply stood outside the apartment door wondering how hard it must've been to leave such a wonderful family for their own safety without promise of return.

Sam knew at that moment why a shadow crossed Percy's face each time the strategist went to visit his mom, his siblings, his home. Each time Percy told Sam snapshots of his hometown. Each time Percy got quiet and contemplative, Sam now knew it was because his mentor was reminiscing about the family he left behind. The young man's heart broke for the one he looked up to, who gave him so much in life.

° ° ° °

"Thank you, Sam. It meant a lot to me that you gave them those letters. I wrote them some twenty years ago. It's hard to imagine they will finally be read."