Chapter Sixteen

Tayla

Ring, ring, ring

"Ugh."

Ring, ring, ring

"What?!"

Ring, ring, ring

"H-Hello?"

"Finally! Tayla, I thought you said we were going to talk over lunch? I went to your office, and you weren't there. What's going on?" Chris huffs.

"W-What- Yeah, we are. What time is it?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.

"It's 2:07 in the afternoon." He says, annoyance coating his vocals.

"What?!" I yell, sitting up from the couch.

The couch? Did I sleep on the couch last night? Wait, Noah! Where's Noah, Parts of that dream felt so real. My stomach churns, and my head rings from an apparent hangover. The sun blares into my eyes through the large glass windows—memories of the night before mixing with the erotic wet dream I had last night.

"Tay. Tayla, are you there?" Chris calls out.

"Yeah, yes, I'm here. Sorry, I just woke up. Is there a way we can talk after you get off of work?" I say.

Chris lets out a deep sigh.

"Fine. Where and what time?" He asks. I can tell he was getting frustrated with the sudden changing of plans, but I don't care at the moment. I'm too hungover.

"My place, say around seven tonight?" I answer.

"See you tonight." He says before hanging up.

Rude. He could have at least said bye. I roll my eyes at his passive-aggressive tantrum. I can't worry about that right now. I need to know what happened last night between Noah and me. I search my call history and tap on Noah's name.

Ring...

Ring...

Ring...

"Black and yellow?" He answers.

"Hello." I chuckle at the Bee movie reference.

"H-Hey, Noah. It's Tay-Tayla." I stutter.

"Um... Yeah, I know. There's this new thing called caller I.D." He chuckles.

"Smartass." I grin.

"I was just calling to see if... you left this morning or..." My words trail off, and I'm not quite sure how to word what I wanted to ask him. I want to say, "Did I bounce on your dick last night?" But those words would never leave these lips.

"I left last night after you fell asleep on the couch." He chuckles.

"You really are a light weight. Three glasses of wine, and you were gone. You fell asleep during my explainings on the new project I'm working on. I guess I must have bored you." He continues, laughing at his own joke.

Never. He could never bore me. I exhale, relieved that we didn't cross any lines, but also a little sad that we didn't.

"Is everything okay, Tay? You seem a million miles away." He asks. I can tell he is concerned, and I don't want him to worry over a dream of all things.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Hungover, but alive." I reassure.

"I left an aspirin and bottled water on the coffee table. I knew you would need it." He says with a chuckle.

I look down and see the bottled water and two aspirin tablets on a tiny saucer between my vase of sunflowers and match tea scented candle. A smile forms on my face, and I become even sadder that last night didn't come true. Well, Noah and me. Not the weird threesome thing.