The Statue with a Soul

A/N -
The beginning takes place in the Ocarina of time era but it jumps to Breath of the Wild Era.

—————

Dark's PoV -

     Standing with Link next to me I felt much braver than usual when I confronted Ganondorf. After completing numerous temples and awakening the sages it was finally time for the final battle with Ganon. Link held my hand and gave it a gently squeeze helping to ground me, to let me know that we were in this together. "Dark, it's nice to see you again," Ganon growled with spite in his voice, "I don't suppose you brought me the hero as a sacrifice."

     I growl back at the demon before us and subconsciously form a protective stance around Link. Ganondorf chuckles maliciously, "Regardless, I think I'll claim you both as sacrifices."

     With that Ganon attacked us with his sharpe blade. Link and I manage to doge the attack. Between Ganon's attacks Link shoot a light arrow at him. I run in to attack Ganon. Only mildly afraid of getting so close to my old master. I need to help Link win this battle! I notice Ganon starting to recover from the arrow so I retreat. Gannon attacks again. This time with added furry and to my horror Link got stabbed with Ganon's blade. I rush over to the hero, "Link!"

I can hear Ganon's chuckle. Pleased with his work. I hold Link and I place my hands over his wound. He smiles up at me, "I'm fine, Dark."

Tears fall from my eyes. I know he is in pain but he is still trying to stay strong for me. "I can stand, we need to defeat Ganon," Link states and I gently help him to his feet.

Link shoots another light arrow at Ganon managing to hit him. I go in to attack again. Once again retreating when Ganon is nearly recovered from the light arrow. Ganon howls in anger and attacks the both of us. I feel the sting of a blade penetrating my abdomen. I colapse to the ground in pain only to find Link collapsed next to me. I hold him. He doesn't respond. "Link?" I question.

Panic sets in. I feel Link's neck for a pulse. There is none. Tears fall uncontrollably from my eyes. Ganon's horrible laughter is the only sound I can hear. In a fit of pure rage I take the master sword from my hero's hands and attack Ganon with all the life left in me. He took the only one who ever cared for me. He will pay!

Ganon tries to fight back but his attempts are fruitless. My rage wins over and I stab the master sword through Ganon's heart. Instantly the dark aura around Hyrule castle is lifted. Zelda appears from her former prison. All I care about is Link. Pulling the sword from Ganon's heart I walk back over to Link. I gently hold him and I place the master sword back into his hands where it belongs. Only now realizing the extent of the burns along my hands from the pure energy of the blade of evil's bane. Zelda walks over to me and lays an apologetic hand on by shoulder trying to comfort me as I hold my lost love. I'm dying. I know I am. The hero is gone and I am his shadow. I physically can not live without him but I welcome death. It will be a relief. Maybe I can be with Link for awhile till he gets reincarnated again. A white light consumes me. It seems peaceful, I welcome it. "Dark Link, you have proven yourself worthy," the booming yet gentle voice of a lady speaks to me in the white mist, "I, the goddess Hylia, shall spare you and harness your soul so that you may be with the hero once again."

I can't reply. My voice will not let me. All I can feel is the pure relaxation of sleepiness. Eventually, I come to. The sun shines brightly overhead. Cool green grass blows in the calm wind. A few animals wonder around. I try to take a step forward but I can't. Panic starts to set in. I can't move. I look down and find that what was once skin is now stone. I'm a statue!

     "Hylia why would you do this to me?" I can speak but of course no one is around to hear me.

     As expected the goddess doesn't reply. I hope Link comes to save me soon.

Much to my dismay, centuries pass. I miss my hero more every day. I still pray he will come to save me from this stone prison but my hope seems to fade as the centuries pass. Towns have been built around me only to one day fall to ruin. Travelers and adventures walk past me. I try to call out to them but I never receive a reply. These travelers tell stories of a hero with a magic blade that destroys evil. I know my hero had been reincarnated probably several times over but I have yet to see him. I've witnessed Ganon's take over. I've witnessed Ganon's defeat as well as his victory. Yet Hyrule always seems to prevailed. Currently a temple has been built around me. The people of Hyrule thought I was made to be a depiction of the hero and built a temple in his honor as well as Hylia's. Behind me sits a large statue of the goddess who imprisoned me in stone.

Centuries pass and the temple in which I wait also turns to ruin. I haven't seen a soul in ages. One day a teen with lovely blond hair and a blue tunic walk into the remnants of the hero's temple. He appears to be in pain. He's crouched over holding a wound on his torso and mumbling about some bokoblins. He drinks a healing potion. He turns around to face me. I'm blown away by his beauty. It's my hero. Finally, after centuries. I know it won't work but I call out to him, "Link, I missed you!"

     The hero seemed startled. I'm surprised and delighted that he can hear me. He looks around and finding no one he looks at me with a puzzled expression. "Link, it's me, Dark."

     Link cautiously approaches me. My heart falls when I don't see any recognition in his eyes. I want nothing more to pull him into a kiss and remind him of me but I can't. I'm just a statue. "Who are you? Are you a statue?" Link asks, now standing in front of me.

     "I'm your shadow, Dark Link, centuries ago we fought Ganon together and you died in my arms. Before I could die the goddess imprisoned me in stone," I continue, "You do remember me, don't you?"

     He must be able to hear the sadness in my voice. "I'm sorry, I don't remember," the hero states and with that my heart breaks.

     All these centuries I've endured just so I could be with my hero again. All for nothing. Link goes to pat my shoulder. Suddenly, a bright light consumes us. In front of us lies the past versions of ourselves. I'm holding Link's body and sobbing into his chest. The blue clad hero next to me seems to be able to see the vision to. "Is that me, did I die?" the current hero asks.

     The goddess' voice echoes once again, "Yes, that was a past reincarnation of your soul and the dark hero mourning you is your soulmate, the same as the one standing in front of you now."

     With that the vision vanishes and we're back in the ruined temple. The blue clad Link hugs me and only now do I realize that I can feel his touch. I hug him back and find that I am no longer made of stone. "How long have you waited for me?" Link asks.

     "Too long but you were worth the wait," I don't want to let go, I've waited centuries for this.

     I feel warmth against my lips and I happily sink into the kiss. I can practically feel the soul of the hero, the same hero I loved all that time ago. He was worth the wait.