Mute (Part 2)

Link's PoV -

I silently chuckle at Dark's enthusiasm about the park. Dark runs to the swings and starts swinging happily. I choose the swing next to him and just let my legs dangle not really in the mood to swing. When Dark's swing reaches its highest point he jumps off landing gracefully on the ground. "Link why aren't you swinging?" He asks.

I simply shrug. Apparently, not liking my answer Dark runs behind me and begins pushing my swing making me go higher and higher. I can't help but to smile, Dark really does lighten my mood. Like Dark did I jump off the swing at the top. I land, not quite as gracefully as Dark. The sun is already starting to set. I really should be getting home. Dark seems to get the message and insists on driving me the one block to my house so I don't have to walk in the cold winter weather.

I enter my apartment and Dark kindly waits in the drive to make sure I make it inside safely. My apartment is rather cold and dull as I just moved in and have not had a chance to unpack. I pass the evening by arranging what little furniture I have and unpacking the rest of my boxes. My small apartment looks some better but still rather bleak. I make a small supper of some white rice and sautéed mushrooms and lay down on the couch as I do not own a bed. I stay awake with a lonely feeling wishing I could have my voice back.

The next morning, after another sleepless night, I walk to school missing the warmth of Dark's car and his company. At school I have a horrible feeling of not belonging. I travel from class to class not really paying attention but just acting the motions to survive another school day. Lunch time finally comes and I head to the library as is my usual. No one else is inside the library. Even the librarian is out, probably going to get her own lunch. I sit at a table in the back of the room. I make the mistake of laying my head on the table and sleep soon consumes me.

I'm standing in the doorway of an all too familiar house. Everything inside the house is beautiful and fancy but somehow cold and uninviting. My boyfriend, Ghirahim, blocks my exit. He is fuming in anger. I tried to break up with him, I tried to do it subtly and painlessly but he became angry nonetheless. In an act of rage Ghirahim shoves me to the ground and grips my neck with his hands. I wonder if this is my end. He mumbles an incantation under his breath and I feel a horrible burning sensation in my neck. Ghirahim let's me go and I scramble outside to my freedom. I try to yell at him and tell him how crazy he is but I can't speak. I thought nothing of it at first but I was incredibly wrong. I haven't been able to speak since.

"Link?" I hear my name.

"Are you okay, Link?!" I finally wake from my nightmare to find Dark sitting in front of my with a worried expression on his face.

I smile at him trying to act more positive than I feel. Every time I fall asleep I keep reliving the nightmare that is my reality. "What were you dreaming about?" Dark asks and slides a notebook and a pen across the table.

     I don't know if I should be honest with Dark. He seems to truly be concerned about me but what if he just thinks of me as a charity case or a new toy like Ghirahim did?

It's nothing.

"Link, you seemed terrified by
your nightmare, you have tears in your eyes, it's not nothing," Dark replies.

I keep dreaming about how I lost my voice.

"How did you lose your voice?" Dark asks the dreaded question.

I don't want to tell you.

"Oh," Dark's feelings seem hurt, "I just want to help you, Link."
I can hear the sincerity in his voice but I know there is nothing he can do to help me.

You can't help me, no one can. Thank you, you are a good friend.

Dark smiles at this. "I don't think I've ever had a friend before, I like this," Dark hugs me unexpectedly and I smile a genuine smile. This feels nice.

     All too soon the bell rings and we hurry to our next class.

Like the day before, Dark takes me home from school. However, this time I invite him in now that I am unpacked. It's raining outside so we can't go to the park and I don't have a TV so there is not much to do besides talk or in my case wright.

"I like your house," Dark states from where he sits next to me on the couch.

     I take out my notebook from my backpack. It's pages are nearly filled and the binding is torn from how much I use it. I smile thinking that this wear and tear is all because I can now call Dark my friend. The notebook represents all our conversations together.

Thank you, I do think that you are just being polite. I do not have much in the way of furniture.

     I hand Dark the notebook letting him see my reply.

     "I really do like it. It's cozy," Dark states after reading my reply.

     I try to reach for my notebook but Dark hides it behind his back. I stare at him in confusion. "Link, I really want to hear your voice. Can you at least try to speak to me?"

     I glare at him and shake my head no. I cross my arms defiantly. Is he really doing this? He knows I don't like to talk about how I lost my voice.

     "Link, please, I'm sure you can at least make a sound if you tried to," Dark tries to convince me.

     I glare again and try to reach for my notebook from behind Darks back but he quickly moves it out of my reach. I lose my balance and I am practically laying on Darks chest. I try to back away but Dark takes the opportunity to tickle me. I'm angry with him but somehow the feeling makes me happy. Still I want this tickle assault to stop and I wish I could plead for mercy.

Dark's PoV -

     I gently tickle Link under his arms and on his back and neck. His breathing is rough and he laughs silently. His voice still not being able to produce a sound. My hope was to at least hear Link's laugh since he refused to try to speak to me or even to tell me how he lost his voice. I could tell Link was becoming upset with me so giving up I let him go. Link quickly recovered from his silent laughter and glared at me with angry eyes. I try to explain myself, "I'm sorry, I thought that maybe I could at least hear your laugh."

Link does not seem pleased with my explanation and angrily points at the door telling me to get out. I stand following his direction not wanting to make him angrier. Once I'm standing outside in the rain I try to apologize once again but he slams the door in my face. Did I just lose the only friend I ever had?!