12

Derek parked his old but trusty truck beside Marvin's jeep. He couldn't get over the fact they were inside Mount Elbert. He and Marvin had come here as kids with their dads, and there had not been a private underground parking lot, mind you, an entire facility inside the mountain back then. At least not that they ever saw.

Bright LED lights glowed from panels in the relatively low ceiling. Men dressed in black combat gear were marching towards the now parked trucks, guns upfront and in everyone's view to see.

Well, they are about as subtle as a thong on a fat lady, thought Derek, as he smirked to himself.

If people only knew half the shit he didn't say out loud, they would understand why he was always grinning like an idiot.

He shot a look at Aiya, who had climbed out of Marvin's Jeep beside him. The tank had to be left at the bottom of the mountain, unfortunately, well, unfortunately for Errend. Derek didn't mind.

He'd hoped that Aiya would end up with him for the drive, but she had mumbled something about needing to talk to Marvin before ditching him with a very sullen and quiet Errend.

Derek liked Errend. He did. The guy was solid and would never let you down but Aiya's strange fixation with him lately just rubbed him the wrong way.

Deep down, Derek knew he had no chance with the woman. She would always be his best friend's older sister, and she would always see him as that annoying kid who never shut up when he came over to play with her brother.

But what he had said that day at The Sloppy Dish was true. He'd given his heart away a long time ago. Thankfully his balls were still his.

He heard himself chuckle. He was the funniest person he knew. Aiya shot him a look that said, "You ok weirdo?" which just made him smirk at her.

"How's it hanging, Aiya? A little to the left or the right?"

Aiya stared blankly at him. She was used to him at least, even if she wasn't amused or impressed. Yet as Derek looked back at her, his smirk slowly faded. He realized something was off. Usually, she had quick comebacks, laughing at him and cracking off at his expense, but her eyes seemed haunted today.

Dark circles hung under her gorgeous ice-blue eyes, and her warm olive skin had a greyish hue to it today. Was she sick?

"Hey, you all right?"

The sincerity in his voice must have startled her as her eyes suddenly focused on him properly, and he saw her whole body flinch slightly. Whatever was bothering her was all-consuming.

"Yea... Fuck no, I am not. I will be, though." Aiya answered almost robotically as her gaze went to her feet for a moment, her forehead wrinkled in worry.

Had Derek been a person to think before he acted, he wouldn't do 99% of the shit he did. And that would have made his life boring, like Errend kind of boring. Yet even he was shocked to feel himself reach out, place an arm around Aiya's shoulders and bring her in for a hug. No one ever hugged the woman. She needed a big hug.

He felt her hesitate, then she buried her face in his chest and wrapped her arms around his back, her five-foot-six frame tucking in under his chin as she let herself be hugged. Derek felt some tension leave her shoulders, and she left out a heavy sigh.

What felt like forever but was honestly less than a minute ended with Aiya stepping back and giving Derek a strange look.

"Derek..." she shook her head, a small smile appearing under her tired but beautiful eyes, "Just when I think you can't surprise me. Thank you. I forgot how good a hug could feel. I think I needed that."